Favorite place to buy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
What's your favorite place to get beer from? And I mean beer to take home, not a bar.

I live in Philadelphia and I think the The Foodery is my favorite spot. 800+ beers to choose from and you make your own six pack. Unfortunately due to the fact that you can buy bottles individually, their prices are really high. But you're hard pressed to find so much selection in a single store. It's great when you wanna splurge some and take home home a variety of stuff you've never tried before.

Knightly Spirits in Metro West Orlando, Florida (they have several locations, only one is the "beer store").

Locally, it's usually Gator Beverage for selection, although I like the ambience and service at Ward's and Dorn's better.

Here in HB, it's either Liquor Warehouse or BevMo.

On a side note, Liquor Warehouse used to have a neighbor named Drug Emporium. The only thing missing for one-stop shopping was a Hookers-r-Us.

Closest place to me with any kind of selection is Central Market in Ft Worth, Texas.
It's about 50 miles, so don't make it too often.
I like the fact that you can make your own six packs.
I wish it was closer though:(

I have heard good things about the foodery, but never been there.

I like to get mine from Capone's in Norristown. It is right near my office and Matt is very accommodating. There is usually a real nice tap selection, and the bottle store is second to none in this area. Plus, Matt will get you special bottles if they are availible to him. he has come through quite a few times for me now.

Down by my house, I have to go to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD. That is how a beer store should be. Amazing selection, helpfull staff, and a frequent buyers program.

I've been goiing to BevMo for lots of things, but recently ran across a little bottle shop that has a really good selection of craft brews, and the beer guy working there is really into it and has found and sold me some really hard-to-get beers.

I also occasionally go to Whole Foods to get stuff, as they have a surprising selection of stuff sometimes that is tough to find other places. For example a lot of the farmhouse ales I haven't been able to find anyplace but there.

I have heard good things about the foodery, but never been there.

The foodery rocks mostly because you can get just about anything. Except fat tire. Every time I'm in there, there's some different sign telling you they don't carry it.

"Sorry, we don't carry Fat Tire"
"No, really, we DON'T carry Fat Tire"
"Anyone who asks for Fat Tire will be slapped"
"Fat Tire is available in case 11" (there is no case 11).

When in Maryland I go to the Village Pump in College Park or Burtonsville Beer&Wine.
When in Virginia I go to Total Wine (rediculous selection).

What's your favorite place to get beer from? And I mean beer to take home, not a bar.

I live in Philadelphia and I think the The Foodery is my favorite spot. 800+ beers to choose from and you make your own six pack. Unfortunately due to the fact that you can buy bottles individually, their prices are really high. But you're hard pressed to find so much selection in a single store. It's great when you wanna splurge some and take home home a variety of stuff you've never tried before.

we have a similar store south of seattle called 99 bottles http://www.99bottles.net/ they have a great selection and you build your own 6-packs, but they don't have food to go with it..

North end of metro Denver, it's Total Beverage. If they don't stock it, they are willing to order if the suppliers carry it. (Stinking three tier distribution!)

an hour and a half away from me near Springfeild MA, in the middle of the state, is this place called Vine and Table, rediculous is all I got to say. More beer wine and liquor than I have ever seen in one place ever.

Here in Nashville is Grace's. Finally, a store that keeps the beer away from the windows, in its own room with the lights dimmed.

Up in Chicago it's Binny's. Probably Glen Ellyn first then South Loop second. West Lakeview is pretty decent, but most importantly the guys working there are great and know their stuff.

Back