Tips on Sanitizing Lid on Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trubador

Reaction score
I've done it various ways including pouring iodophor or bleach solution that I used to sanitize primary bucket onto the lid several times. I just never feel comfortable about it b/c it is difficult to keep all parts of lid in contact with solution for very long.

any tips/ideas would be appeciated.

I just put the lid on the bucket and shake the sanitizer around. Wait 5 minutes and do it again. Then flip it over and place it in the sink.

The lid should fit into the bucket, although the bucket will be temprarily deformed. Just flip the lid verticle and slide it in there. Sometimes mine sticks out of the sanitzer a bit, just rotate it a few times. The bucket will return to its original shape once you put the lid back on it.

- magno

magno said:
The lid should fit into the bucket, although the bucket will be temprarily deformed. Just flip the lid verticle and slide it in there. Sometimes mine sticks out of the sanitzer a bit, just rotate it a few times. The bucket will return to its original shape once you put the lid back on it.

- magno

Careful. This can (and will) scratch the inside of the bucket. Mine has scars to prove it. Those scratches could harbor bacteria.

I only use my bucket for bottling, so I'm confortable taking the (minor) risk of infection.

-walker

Grab a trusty clean sponge and soak it in your solution of iodophor and water, and then gently wipe the lid down. P.S. It has not failed me yet.

I bought a wide rubbermaid container that I use between sessions to store all my assorted small-gear (hydrometers, hoses, clamps, airlocks, all that stuff). On brew day, I put everything that I need to have sanitized in there, add a capful of Iodophor and 2.5 gallons of water. It's wide enough for the bucket lid to fit in there as well. I'll then keep that around for when I need to sanitize something quickly during the brew (like my spoon after the wort has chilled and it's been sitting out for a while).

I also have one of those adjustable strainers that I use as well to get stuff out of solution and drying, although honestly I don't stress too much about getting my gear bone-dry before using it, usually a hard couple flicks of the wrist gets most of the solution off.

Back