Steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some threads around but most iirc pertained to modding existing jacketed cheese kettles for brewing purposes. What kind of pressures were you thinking of using?

It is important to have the condensing section (jacket) designed such that you cannot trap fluid in bends etc and cause surging. The part that I am confused about is how to control the amount of heat delivered to the kettle. Not sure if I'd use a pid on manual (%power) mode or pid mode with the pressure on the input. The latter seems safer to me but would require a pressure transducer to send a signal to the controller. Of course you would want other redundant safety features like release valves etc. If the boiler was powered with % power then it seems you could have a runaway system if the kettle was less able to dissipate heat as time progressed, which would raise the pressure in the jacket.

You certainly couldn't monitor the T of what is in the kettle as that is fixed by the composition of what you are boiling.

Why are you interested in using steam?

I've thought about this a bunch but am not an expert in pressurized steam boilers. You might find more information on commercial brewers' forums, residential/commercial space heating informational web pages, or those forums concerned with distilling.

Latest posts

Back