Exploding abbey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyvilla

Reaction score
I made a Chimay clone last night and was concerned that the yeast would have a hard time in its high gravity (1.95) climate. Well, its safe to say the yeast has taken hold, as within a day the airlock has shot off and the ale pales lid has half-way come off, due to violent krausen. I made a starter and aerated with an O2 tank. I did not strain the hops, and I'm thinking they clogged up the bung hole. Could this have been prevented?

I imagine a blow off hose would have helped. Are some types of beer more prone to violent fermentation?

I imagine a blow off hose would have helped. Are some types of beer more prone to violent fermentation?

Haven't used any dubbel or trippel yeast yet, but I can tell you that using notty in warm temps can be a good excuse to repaint the walls and ceiling! That stuff is downright volatile when you get it above 70ish. I have since learned that using a swamp cooler (at the very least) is imperative to saving home repair costs and the threat of divorce. :drunk:

My carboy's locktop just blew off while fermenting.....Is it OK to leave off the locktop for a while and just let it overflow in the tub....Thanks

Back