Basement bar build! DIALUP WARNING (many pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bar is completed! Had a "small" issue with the o-ring on my gas post crapping the bed and emptying my co2 cylinder overnight :( Got new co2, replaced and lubed the o-ring and now I'm stylin!

finished_bar.jpg

and

finished_bar3.jpg

Now on to the decor, and on to the brewing! I'm going to have to step it up to keep up with the bar...its just so easy to pull the tap handle ;) I am having a big birthday party in August which should really put it to the test!

Oh great suggestion. Of all the thoughts I had, cutting slots into the door never crossed my mind...thats brilliant ;) Thanks for the link.

Thanks Arturo. Now I need to hurry up and wait for some of your HBT'ers to happen through Maine for a pint.

Joe I like it so far. It repels bud light bottles with the strength of 10 grinches.

Road trip indeed! The grill will be on from now until October.

mmb, I am still in a trial period with my door. Right now it just has weather stripping stuck to the inside of the gasket portion. The stripping on the hinge side of the door is still giving me some trouble, but once the door is closed it seems fine. Currently there is only a latch in the lower corner of the door, I am thinking of adding another to the top corner. (just a dead bolt). I am awaiting the electricity bill, but I do know the fridge is on it's very lowest setting and the temp is holding between 36 and 38 degrees with 2 kegs in it.

The frame on the far side of the door (the non-hinge side) is cut at a bit of an angle. There is a corresponding angle inside the fridge to accept it. This allowed the door to be deep enough to insulate, and still let it open and close freely. I'm terrible at putting this into words, but would be happy to take photos for you if you think they'd help you out. Don't be shy if you have any more questions, assuming my answer thus far hasn't destroyed any confidence you had in me ;)

Is it the weather stripping on the hinge-side of the door that's giving you trouble? I wonder if you could attach it to the stationary side, instead of the door. That would make it squish straight when the door closes, instead of brushing against the frame as it closes. I hope you understand what I mean...

Hegh I hear what you're saying. That is exactly what is happening, it is peeling off as it brushes against the frame. When this bit finally falls all the way off, I will try placing it on the stationary side and see what happens!

I like the way your bar looks.

How are you going to deal with defrosting that thing, or with the minor flood that will occur when/if the power goes out? It looks to me like the water will just run out onto the wood floor of your refrigerated compartment.

mmb, I am still in a trial period with my door. Right now it just has weather stripping stuck to the inside of the gasket portion. The stripping on the hinge side of the door is still giving me some trouble, but once the door is closed it seems fine. Currently there is only a latch in the lower corner of the door, I am thinking of adding another to the top corner. (just a dead bolt). I am awaiting the electricity bill, but I do know the fridge is on it's very lowest setting and the temp is holding between 36 and 38 degrees with 2 kegs in it.

The frame on the far side of the door (the non-hinge side) is cut at a bit of an angle. There is a corresponding angle inside the fridge to accept it. This allowed the door to be deep enough to insulate, and still let it open and close freely. I'm terrible at putting this into words, but would be happy to take photos for you if you think they'd help you out. Don't be shy if you have any more questions, assuming my answer thus far hasn't destroyed any confidence you had in me ;)

Sounds somewhat like my current setup. I've the weather striping on the bar itself instead of the door and haven't had any problems with the closed cell foam strip I used. I'm using a foam plug that I remove after opening the door and that seems to be working ok for me but is a hassle if I need to be in and out of the keg cooler section.

I've had up to nine 5G kegs in mine along with a carboy and temps hold at 40 using a Ranco ETC. I'm sure you'll be happy with the performance of your cooler.

Here's my cooler door, as it is currently. I use cabinet hardware to lock it closed without having anything on the outside of the door.

2693194698_d52c7936de.jpg

Thanks. I didn't make the chamber any larger because I don't want to put too much strain on the little fridge. Plus the back of the fridge needs to be exposed to the open air so it can exhaust and cool. I didn't necessarily need any more space and I'd like to keep the power cost down. The open side will probably just be used for placing a waste basket in, and I'll also be mounting a PC power supply in there which will power the lights and fans for the bar. I've wired 3 PC case fans: one blowing over the coils in the back, one inside the fridge blowing air from the chamber across the freezer plate of the fridge, and a third fan in the fridge blowing the now cooled air back out into the chamber. If that makes sense...again, steps to keep the strain on the fridge way down. I'm anxious to get the door to the chamber built so I can fire it up and see how well...or how poorly...it cools.

As for added value to the home...I doubt anything :( A realtor once told me that anything below ground level adds absolutely 0 to the price of your home...so I assume the bar I build in my finished basement, which in a realtor's eyes doesn't exist, is in fact worthless as well :(

Did u put the fans on a controller or did u wire them to the fridge? I totally copied your idea the minute I saw it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/just-another-bar-build-124367/ I think we mave have even used the same fridge. My skills are good but anything beyond house wiring is limited.

D-Boss, I have a PC power supply setting behind the fridge. The PC fans are wired into that. Then I drilled a small hole through the fridge to run the wires for the fans through. Piece of cake!

D-Boss, I have a PC power supply setting behind the fridge. The PC fans are wired into that. Then I drilled a small hole through the fridge to run the wires for the fans through. Piece of cake!

Does that mean they run all the time?:confused:

Latest posts

Back