Refilling Kobalt/PaintBall Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuateBrewer

Reaction score
So,

I got one of those Kobalt Portable CO2 rigs at Lowes a few months ago and everytime I have gone to the paintball shop - for one reason or another they cannot fill the 2 9oz Striker Bottles I bought at WalMart. The one time they tried they were only able to get like 1 oz into the bottle.

So I bought this thing -

Amazon.com: 2 Dual Valve Paintball CO2 Tank Fill Station Deluxe with gauge: Sports & Outdoors

Put it on my non siphon tube 20lb co2 tank, turned the tank so it was sitting on the valve, and went thru the motions of opening the CO2 Tank valve, and opening the first valve to fill the tank, close valve 1 open valve 2 to purge, rinse and repeat - Only got like 1 oz into the tank.

I tried opening both valves and I got a nice spray of frozen CO2 coming out.

I live in the tropics so its around 75F today and I am at 5200 ft altitude if that has anything to do with it?

Going to try putting the tanks in the deep freeze for a few hours and see if that helps?

Thanks!!

GuateBrewer:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya you have to chill the tanks before filling them. Read the guides on how to properly fill a CO2 tank. A lot of guys fill the tank with air and then completely empty it. The CO2 escape is enough to chill the tanks apparently.

Back