Question about AG recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattieSy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. If I'm trying to formulate a recipe from scratch, how do i know how many pounds of grain to use? Is there a formula? I'd like to try to make a clone (or something similar) of Berkshire Brewing Company's Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale (some of you from MA might be familiar with it). I had heard that they only use pale malt with no caramel or crystal or dextrine malts and no adjuncts. I've got a close approximation of the hop flavor they use, but i dont know how i would figure out how much pale malt to use.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Figure on one pound of pale malt adding about 1.026 gavity points to one gallon of water. So if you want 5 gallons at 1.050, thats means you will use 1.92lbs grain per gallon or 9.6lbs for 5 gallons. This is really over simplified. You will better off in the long run to download brewing software like promash and learning the parameters used to formulate the recipes.

MattieSy said:
Hey everyone. If I'm trying to formulate a recipe from scratch, how do i know how many pounds of grain to use? Is there a formula? I'd like to try to make a clone (or something similar) of Berkshire Brewing Company's Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale (some of you from MA might be familiar with it). I had heard that they only use pale malt with no caramel or crystal or dextrine malts and no adjuncts. I've got a close approximation of the hop flavor they use, but i dont know how i would figure out how much pale malt to use.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Try this link hbd.org/recipator

Back