Noob question on racking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumatourge

Reaction score
Hello,

New to brewing, only 1 batch currently going with one in the works.
Currently I am making a cycer, and have a currant mead in prep phase.

Had a question on racking.
My current cycer has been brewing for 3 weeks and I am ready to rack to a secondary.
Right now the Waldo Canyon fire is going pretty hot and the area around my house is filled with fire smoke.
I'm wondering if I should wait for the air quality to improve before I rack.
Second question is about head space on my secondary.
I used bread yeast on my cycer so I have about 2 inches of lee on the bottom of the carboy.
So when I rack over I'm going to have a bunch of head space in the secondary.
Will this be an issue as it ages, or is this normal.
Since it is no longer fermenting I would assume that the oxygen in the head space could foul the brew.
Am I being overly concerned?

Thank you,

Thaumatourge

You dont want head space in secondary. I have taken to using a vacuvin to make a vacuum if the brew I'm making woukd be too dilute if topped up, but on a cyser I would just top up with some more cider/apple juice.

You dont want head space in secondary. I have taken to using a vacuvin to make a vacuum if the brew I'm making woukd be too dilute if topped up, but on a cyser I would just top up with some more cider/apple juice.

Maybe even stir in a little honey along with the cider/juice especially if you plan to age it awhile.

Sounds like a plan. I'll taste it and see how dry it is. If it is not very dry, I'll just add more cider. If it is dry, I'll and honey cider.

Thanks for the advice.

Thaumatourge

Keep in mind, if you are looking to sweeten itwith these additions you will need to stabilise with sorbate and camden first, otherwise it will just ferment out again.

I don't think the air quality is an issue. If it's not a problem for you, I don't think it's a problem for the yeast.

@huesmann: do you think it would affect the quality or taste of the mead though? I think that it might have an affect like aromatics do on cooked meats...

Personally, I would not take the chance, and would wait for the fires to clear up. I might be too cautious though.

Well first batch is not coming along like I thought it would. It was a Apple cycer, 1 gallon batch with 3 lbs of honey. I did not have a hydrometer when I first started it so I don't have an og. I added some cut grapes and some boiled yeast for nutrients. For 2 weeks it bubbled like a freshly opened soda and then slowed to a stop. I let it sit for 2 more weeks and today I racked it to bottles. I took a fg and it was 1.07. So I'm guessing that my fermentation stalled. I put 2 of my 6 bottles back in the fermenter and added new yeast. if the fermentation picks back up I'll add the other 4 bottles back in. right now they're sitting in the fridge. they do not taste bad but it's definitely not mead. hopefully all this handeling did not introduce nasties to the mix.

Dude if the air quality is so bad you are worried about flavor impact on your mead, I'd worry about your health first!

The bread yeast you used probably died off before the sugars were consumed. You may find that the alcohol content is very low, and the sugar very high. If it's palatable then I'd say go ahead and enjoy, but drink sooner rather than later because it may not preserve long with low alcohol.

In the future you should use some actual wine yeast, it's pretty cheap and will produce a much better mead next time. I use Montrachet for just about everything but Lalvin D-47 and Lalvin 71B-1122 are also good choices or so I've heard. Any good brew store should have these strains and I imagine you could find them online at Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies.

So, bottled the cycer. Not something I would want to give out as a gift. Stuff was hot as raw garlic and sweet enough to make you diabetic. Had good flavor, but as one of my friends described it best as a girly shot. Making a batch of cider now from the same brand of juice and some Lavin yeast. After I see how this turns out I will try another batch with less honey till I find the right.
Thanks for all the info!

Back