Mash Tun Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making my MLT so I can start AG brewing and had a question regarding the tubing. What grade tubing do I need? Will regular vinyl tubing from the store work or am I going to need high temp tubing?

is the tubing going from the HLT to the MLT or from the mash tun to the kettle?
i use normal vinyl tubing from the MLT to the kettle, it gets soft, but i've never had any issues. now if you were moving near boiling water from the HLT to the MLT, you might want the higher grade silicon i think tubing. if you are using a braid in the MLT, the tubing that comes inside the toilet supply hose is the higher grade stuff you could use, though not super long.

There is also polyester braid reinforced PVC tubing which is what I have been using. I have 5/8" heavy wall tubing w/nylon garden hose connectors. I bought it from US Plastics. They stock a wide selection of tubing including silicone and some other goodies.

Go for silicon tubing.
Vinyl is going to add plastic taste to your beer, especially the cheap tubing from HD.

Just buy 1' of silicon tubing from MoreBeer, it's cheap ($2.1/ft) and 1' is plenty for a 10gal Round cooler Mashtun. I also use it in the boilpot from my falsebottom to the spigot.

It works like a charm and you don't have to drink "plastic" beer.

Hommel Homebrew

Really?

I'll bet you use an aluminum pot, too... and clean your copper IC with OxiClean... and use that silly "no-chill" brewing method and get all kinds of DMS and chill haze, and ...

can't tell if you're joking or not, but:

stainless pot, just rinse the IC, chill to pitching temp right after flameout and have no DMS or chill haze problems.
numerous other people use plain vinyl tubing from MLT to the kettle, so i don't think i'm alone in not having plastic flavored beer.

Back