Found some wild hops, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I found these hops growing on the side of the road. Some were a little beat up, does that matter? They smell like citrusy american hops. I've got them in a big yellow bowl to dry for a few days. Any thoughts on how to store/use them? I don't have any experience processing hops, so I'm a little clueless on what to do with them to make them useable.

P1000316.jpg

Dry them out first (reference this thread for some ideas). The best way to package would be in a vacuum seal bag (I.E. Foodsaver). Other than that it's just a matter of using them.

Not knowing exactly what type of hop, or the AA% your best option might be to use them for dry-hopping.

Thanks for the link. I was also thinking of using them for flavoring hops under the assumption that if they smell good, they'll taste good.

Finding these wild hops has really got me interested in growing my own. Freshops.com seems to have a good grower's guide for anyone else who's interested.

Where are you located? That might help a little in the variety department. Just by sight, they look closest to the Cascade out of the 5 varieties I have growing here. They don't look anything like my Centennial (smaller and more rounded), Chinook (bigger, squarer, more pointed leaves), or Horizon (similar to the Chinook but a little smaller).

I live on the North edge of Salem, OR. The commercial harvest is just starting to get underway and I'm betting this "wild" plant I found is really a stray commercial variety. They mostly grow high alpha american varieties and cascade around here, so if it looks like your cascades, it's probably them.

I found another plant in a small wood near a hop farm with bigger cones that smells more flowery than citrusy, but they're not ripe yet.

Yeah Brewtopia, they're fido pants!

Back