Converting 110v march pumps to 220v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
I ordered 2 march pumps from the US for quite some time now and have been running them on a 220to110v transformer. Since there is only 220v available where i live, I was just wondering if its possible to permenantly convert these pumps to use 220v and if so, how do i do it? Has anyone ever done this before? It would be really great if its possible because it would make life easier and give me peace of mind... (I dont want anyone or myself to accidentally plug it into a 220v socket!)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From my limited knowledge of electric motors, I'd say no, it's not possible.

Change the plug so it can't be plugged into 220.

I have never seen a march pump
so take for what it is worth
many 110 motors have a side plate that is removable where the wire from the plug enters it
first unplug the pump and then look under that plate, or possible on it, and see if there is a wiring diagram to switch it to 220 volt. If there is no diagram then it will only run 120 volt, if it has a diagram on how to swap a few wires around then it can be swapped.
remember however hooking it up wrong will mean frying the motor in just about 2 seconds so you may want to have an electrician look at it and tell you what is going on

hope this helps

Going out on a limb here, but in the U.S. there are 4 wires available for 220V. There's Hot, Hot, Neutral, and Ground. How many wires do you have coming out of your wall? Also a link to what your plug looks like might be helpful.

I live in Thailand and all wall sockets are 220v

It says your in Holland? I think with the motors on March pumps you can't switch between 120/240V. Best bet would be to wire the transformers into junction boxes in the cords.

Ok thanks! I was studying in Holland when I created my account, but now I'm back in Thailand!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Assuming you have the 809 pumps...then the short answer is no......if you have a good motor repair shop that does winding....maybe....
And if you happen to have a different pump that has like 5-8 different wires coming out of it...then the label on the motor will tell you if they can be re-configured for different voltages. :)

You can hire an electrician to come to your house and wire you up a few 110v sockets. Yeah, I know it's possible because I had it when I lived in Germany. They are still 50hz, though.

I'd say your only hope is that the factory sells 220V and 110V motors which are the same except for the way internal winding connections are made. This would simplify manufacture but there may be other reasons not to do it this way. If that is indeed the case then you would need to find where the single winding is split and rewire the two parts which would be in parallel for 120 into a series configuration for 240. A think the suggestion of going to a motor winding shop is probably a good one. Somewhere on some soi you will find one. Then there is the question of 50 Hz.

You can hire an electrician to come to your house and wire you up a few 110v sockets. Yeah, I know it's possible because I had it when I lived in Germany. They are still 50hz, though.

It's possible to have 120 60 Hz from 240 50 Hz if you are willing to spring for an MG set (or more modern electronic rectifier-inverter system). It is not possible to go from 240 to 120 without some kind of steel i.e. MG set or transformer (far more practical but no frequency conversion). When the 110 sockets were installed in your German residence a central transformer must have been installed somewhere. This may, of course, be an option for OP.

considering the 220 to 110 volt xformers are about $15, I would just use them, you are only drawing about 0.5 amp on the primary and 1 amp on the secondary. this is not a terribly beefy xformer.

It's possible to have 120 60 Hz from 240 50 Hz if you are willing to spring for an MG set (or more modern electronic rectifier-inverter system). It is not possible to go from 240 to 120 without some kind of steel i.e. MG set or transformer (far more practical but no frequency conversion). When the 110 sockets were installed in your German residence a central transformer must have been installed somewhere. This may, of course, be an option for OP.

Good to know. You appear to have an authoritative grasp on the subject. Thanks for the education.

Back