2nd AG, Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
Hello friends,

My first AG experience went well, despite a terrible efficiency, and this time I really want to try to make a good hefeweizen, since it is probably my favorite style. Here is what I'm thinking.

4.5# Malted Wheat
4.5# Malted Barley
.5# Carapils
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

I picked this particular yeast because I'm looking for a hefeweizen that has very little esters, but still has a spicy character. What do you guys think? Also, I'm thinking about adding about 1 pound of corn sugar to raise the alcohol and make the beer lighter.

Looks pretty good to me. That yeast will give you some of the banana in addition to the spice, depending on your temp. Also, instead of adding corn sugar, you could just skip the carapils and mash at 148 or 149 for a lighter body and higher alcohol. Should be great summer beer!

I concur... (always wanted to say that)

Skip the corn sugar, do as PBR says and just mash at a lower temp. Also, figure out why your efficiency was bad on your first batch and correct that, will also help.

I'm pretty sure I know why the efficiency was so bad...I used a 1 qt to 1 pound ratio, and not enough sparge water, because I was attempting to do a pseudo all grain, where I could still boil it on the stove, but have to add a pound or two of DME. It didn't work out well, only about 50% efficiency. Anyway, what do you guys think about Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast? Have any of you tried this strain before?

Back