Bought my last Corona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrv

Reaction score
I used to think I liked Corona. Then I got into craft beers and it opened up my world. But when a certain friend of mine who likes Corona comes over to our place, I still buy it before he comes. The last couple times he's come over, I've had a mix of Corona and craft beers, and on his most recent visit, he didn't drink a single Corona!

I think I've made a convert and don't plan to buy it anymore! Will be interesting to see how he reacts to the homebrew once I get my pipeline going.

I can't dis Corona. It is not anything great, but is very fresh.

My wife loves it. I'd like to do a clone, but haven't looked into it much. It has a nice bitterness to it, and clean, lite or no malt flavor.

Seriously flame away, but If you have suggestions for a recipe, give.

I am thinking pilsner malt, and Saaz, with some centenial??

I used to think I liked Corona. Then I got into craft beers and it opened up my world. But when a certain friend of mine who likes Corona comes over to our place, I still buy it before he comes. The last couple times he's come over, I've had a mix of Corona and craft beers, and on his most recent visit, he didn't drink a single Corona!

I think I've made a convert and don't plan to buy it anymore! Will be interesting to see how he reacts to the homebrew once I get my pipeline going.

funny, homebrewing turned me off of corona, but made me come to respect budweiser more. go figure.

but I hear you on the corona... much rather have a nice pils or a cold PA.. or maybe a cold bitter... or a nice dry IPA... oh hell.

You have a friend in Provo who drinks beer? I find that SHOCKING! ;)

LOL...the one I'm talking about comes all the way from Lehi...but still part of Happy Valley. Seriously, there are a handful of us at least. :D

Indeed there are a few of us. I am in Orem myself so if you catch a whiff of hot wort in a breeze from the north that would be me. :)

Indeed there are a few of us. I am in Orem myself so if you catch a whiff of hot wort in a breeze from the north that would be me. :)

Howdy neighbor! I like the "What would Jesus brew?" in your profile. Seems like anywhere I live in Utah (and I've lived in Orem too) I am across the street from a stake center and can see three churches from my house. Sometimes all you can do is RDWHAHB to survive here. :mug:

Sometimes all you can do is RDWHAHB to survive here. :mug:

Yup, i don't mind it though as Happy Valley is clean and safe. Hell i don't even lock my car or my house doors most nights. Yeah we live in Mormon central but i just smile and wave as i am drinking/brewing on Sundays and the neighbors are just getting home from church.

Cheers :mug:

PS Hope that bad beer wheat turns out great. I made one close to it that i got from Brewmasters warehouse http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/b1ca1d57/ added a pound of fresh Orange blossom honey i got at Winco. WOW it was FANTASTIC! Hate to toot my own horn but it was about the best beer i had ever tasted.

I'm sorry but not only does Corona blow, it's also wayyyyyy over priced. I don't mind crappy beer if it's cheap. And besides, everyone sticks a lime in the top. If you bought Miller High Life which also comes in nice clear bottles and shoved a lime in it, it'd taste just as good for half the price!

I have a similar story. I've converted three of my friends and working on a fourth. The fourth drinks too much beer to be interested in anything other than cheap beer.

Corona was my very first beer and I still do enjoy it, its a great fresh light beer, but.......I cant remember the last time I bought some, maybe cinco de mayo several years ago.

PS Hope that bad beer wheat turns out great. I made one close to it that i got from Brewmasters warehouse http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/b1ca1d57/ added a pound of fresh Orange blossom honey i got at Winco. WOW it was FANTASTIC! Hate to toot my own horn but it was about the best beer i had ever tasted.

Sound good. :) They sell fresh honey at Winco? I want to try making mead eventually. I wonder if that would be a good place to get the honey. I think my first choice though will be my friend in Logan who keeps hives on his farm property. I just need to wait for the right time of year to ask him about it.

Corona was my very first beer and I still do enjoy it, its a great fresh light beer, but.......I cant remember the last time I bought some, maybe cinco de mayo several years ago.

It's not that I wouldn't drink a Corona. It's just that there are so many other beers that I'm aware of now. :) For old times sake, I'll probably ask for one the next time I'm at a poker table in Vegas, just for old times sake and because I know they have it.

A friend of mines uses this one and swears by it I don't like corona so have never tried it. hope it helps. BTW Utah is a great place to brew!!!
.50 lbs. Crystal Malt 10°L
3 lbs. Dry Light Extract
2 lbs. Rice Flaked
1 lbs. Corn Sugar
1 oz. Perle (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.25 oz. Perle (Whole, 8.25 %AA) boiled 15 min.
2 tsp. irish moss (not included in calculations)
Yeast : WYeast 3766 Cider

I guess I should not be suprised at the amount of Utah brewers I have seen on here, but I am.

/On Topic

Corona with lime... Yes please

My wife made fish tacos today, and I found myself thinking that Corona with lime would go well with it. I probably haven't bought my last Corona after all.

Are there any ale styles that would pair well with fish tacos?

funny, homebrewing turned me off of corona, but made me come to respect budweiser more. go figure.

but I hear you on the corona... much rather have a nice pils or a cold PA.. or maybe a cold bitter... or a nice dry IPA... oh hell.

I hear you on the new found respect for the american pils. Heiniken and Corona make money by convincing americans beer is supposed to taste skunked. At least bud and miller taste the way they were intended to taste and are always cheaper. Coronas are always priced like premium beer but alway pack subpar taste and quality.

Try Sol Cervesa. It's a Corona style lager but much better in my opinion.

My wife made fish tacos today, and I found myself thinking that Corona with lime would go well with it. I probably haven't bought my last Corona after all.

Are there any ale styles that would pair well with fish tacos?

I believe that fish tacos are a San Diego invention so I would suggest going with a SoCal IPA of some sort.:ban:

As a big Jimmy Buffett fan, I used to drink that swill with the best of em'. A few years ago after getting into craft beer, I now realize that they taste like licking a skunks behind! I get this same taste from Heineken or any clear/green bottle beer! However, I will say the I don't get that flavor from high lite for some weird reason!

I'd rather have a Pacifico than a Corona if we're talking mexican lagers.

+1 Pacifico is a decent beer. Nothing like sitting on the beach in Mazatlan eating fresh shrimp and sucking down Pacificos and limes. Yummm

Pacifico is light years better than Corona. Pacifico actually tastes like beer.

agreed, I also prefer tacate, dos X and modelo over Corona, they are much more consistent tasting beers and much better examples of mexican lagers. Also you don't have to put the lime in them to cover up the skunk smell. Funny thing is I believe the same company owns all of them.

Have to agree with the Pacifico and Mazatlan one of my favorite things to do! Although now that I have been brewing I have a recipe that I would much rather drink.

Back