End of season with a potted hop plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
I've been given a cascade plant that has had its growth stunted by being kept in a 10" pot all summer... I received it about a month ago and promptly placed it into a larger container. Obviously being in such a small pot for the entire growing season kept it from producing any cones, but it grew up a 2'ish pole and filled in nicely. It's still bright green and pushing out new chutes...

My question is, how do I put it to rest for winter? Does it just come inside for the winter and become a house plant? Do I cut it back somehow and just throw it in a dark basement? Being in the New England area, I'm assuming I cannot just leave it in the pot outside for the winter...

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Let it dieback and leave it outside. Freezing will not hurt a hop root. It might be worthwhile to bring it inside about a month before the last frost, if you have a sunny spot for it.

Back