hefeweizen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so a while back i brewed the AHS bavarian hefeweizen. i used white labs hefeweizen yeast.
this is possibly my favorite beer i've ever made.

a kit i got from midwest is using nottinghan yeast. are there major differences?

should i stop by my lhbs and get the white labs and use the nottingham for something else?

Midwest gave you Nottingham for a hefeweizen? Sounds like an error on their part. Definitely buy the Hefeweizen yeast as it will impart certain flavors that you'll want in your beer as opposed to the neutral Nottingham.

Nothing wrong with the Notty, just not in a hefe.

thanks for the help. i guess they gave it to me because i selected the dry yeast option. i have always been afraid to ship the liquid yeasts

Yeah, you cannot get a real hefe without the right yeast, becuase that is a primary part of the style.

You definitely want to change yeasts for a hefe. WLP380 has worked great for me in the past. Save the Notty for the next Pale Ale or IPA you do. It is dry, so will keep for a long time.

I use the WLP300 in my Hugh Heffe... and let me tell ya... YUMMMMM I even have a testimonial up on the White Labs website

Back