I am dumb and have a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
First, an explanation of why I am dumb. I somehow WAY over primed my beer (in bottles). Must've been tired or something. Anyways, the beer is undrinkable. You open the bottle and it empties itself out in a fashion reminiscent of a fire fighting boat. Not only that, the yeast content is extreme to say the least. Who woulda thought there could be a weizen mit too much hefe. Now it's time for the question. Can I dump all the beer back into a carboy and let it completely carb out and then rebottle also allowing the yeast to settle to the bottom? Or is it time to throw it all in a bucket and have a swill-fest?

How long did you wait before openning your bottles?

Did you use a hydrometer to make sure fermentation was over before you bottled? How long did you wait from yeast pitch till you bottled?

I'm actually quite impressed with the structural integrity of the bottles. I should probably be handling them with oven mitts though. But if carbonation this extreme doesnt pop the bottles and I can't imagine how much you have to screw up to make them explode.

I think I accidentally did 2 cups of corn sugar and 1 cup of water instead of vice versa. Whoops. I also think there were some fermentables left in the brew. Impatience is punished. It's been sitting at about 72-74F. It's been a little over a month since bottling.

Wow, yall respond quick. Two replies while I was writing mine. I think I accidentally did 2 cups of corn sugar and 1 cup of water instead of vice versa. Whoops. I also think there were some fermentables left in the brew. Impatience is punished. It's been sitting at about 72-74F. It's been a little over a month since bottling.

This is the first screwup I've had in about 8 batches. Bound to happen sometime. At least it was with a relatively cheap hefeweizen(money and time wise).

What happens if you chill one for a couple of days? Does it still gush like crazy, or is it calmed down a bit?

The problem with opening them all over a carboy and then rebottling will be that you are oxidizing the heck out of them, so it'll be cardboard flavored beer.

If you can chill them very cold, and open gently without them foaming all out, you can uncap them and then recap with new caps. That might help alot. I'd uncap, then put a new sanitized cap on the top but not cap right away. Wait about 20 minutes, then cap.

If I get it down to stupid cold, about 33F, it calms down alot but theres still a good amount of head the flows out of the bottle. So right now its a toss up between drinking super carbonated, super yeasty beer out of a bucket or bottled cardboard. Time to call my keystone drinking friends over.

I would do what yoop suggested, it is a pretty commonly recommended alternative. Chill them, then uncap them, let the CO2 vent for a few minutes then cap them with fresh corks...

A lot of people have done this to great success...Dumping and rebottling is not necessary, nor is it a good idea...

Alright, that shouldn't be too hard considering they're in swing top bottles. I'll try it and report back.

I would recommend chilling them super cold immediately and carefully unsnapping the flip top a bit to relieve some pressure, just a hiss or until foam is about to rocket out. I'm not kidding when I say wear gloves and safety glasses when moving the bottles.

Ok, glass shards in the eyeballs sounds like something I'll pass on.

I've had this happen too, with a couple batches. I don't have much for temp control in the spring and sometimes the fermentation gets hung, and when I was first starting out I was a little too eager ... lost a few bottles when the mercury hit 100 degrees this summer. What I ended up doing was waiting until a cool morning, putting on a pair of welding gloves and opening them and dumping them into a Corny keg and putting them on tap. I've still got a little left in that keg.

Definitely wear as much protection as you can, especially your hands and eyes. A face shield would be great if you've got one. Chances are, if they didn't blow up when it was 90 degrees, they won't when it's 50 ... but you never know!

Well upon further inspection it appears that as the beer continued to carb, the rubber gaskets on the swing tops acted like a sort of safety valve, gave way and let off a good amount of CO2. So most of them are now at a reasonable carbonation level and when I open one thats not I just close it back up real quick and put it back in the fridge. Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts

Back