AHS add pack. Whoops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikeon3

Reaction score
Okay so I just made my second batch of beer from an AHS Gold Seal kit. It came with this Add Pack containing maltodextrin, yeast hulls, and corn sugar. I just finished brewing and pitched the yeast, but totally forgot to add the add pack until I was cleaning up and found the pack. Instructions say I was supposed to add it during the boil. The recipe only had 5lbs of LME and steeping grains. So did I basically just make myself 5 gallons of session ale?

Was thinking aout maybe boiling another 1/2 gallon with the stuff in it, cooling it, and adding. Would that work?

I don't think any of those ingredients have much affect on flavor so you should be good there. Your ABV will be lower without the corn sugar and the mouthfeel won't be the same without the maltodextrin. I've never used yeast hulls so I can't comment on that. Post the exact ingredients you actually used for a more detailed response, but your beer shouldn't suffer drastically.

If you just pitched I don't see any reason why you could not boil them in 2 cups of water, cool it and add it to the brew. A half gallon is a bit much IMO.

In my personal opinion, extract recipes only need four things: Steeping grains, Extract (preferably dry), Hops, and yeast. If you do those four things correctly all that other stuff is unnecessary. Sometime I wonder if you get things like maltodextrin and corn sugar in those kits because that stuff is a cheap shortcut. This is why I avoid these kits. It's not hard to find, or even create, extract recipes, and it's fun to experiment.

I bet you could dump the contents of that pack directly into your wort with no ill effects.
Lots of people have made Edwort's apfelwein and the sugar used in it is not boiled. It is added directly into the fermenter.

Boil that junk in a little water, or just add it to your fermenter you will be fine. I don't know what yeast hulls are, but the maltodextin and corn sugar will not benefit from a boil except to insure sanitation.

Okay the ingredients to the recipe were:

5lbs Amber LME
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.25# Special B (Briess? Steeped with the crystal)
1/2oz Columbus hops @60m
1/2oz Columbus hops @15m
1oz Amarillo hops @5m
Dry yeast (Danstar Windsor) I rehydrated in 80 degree water (cooled down steeping grain water)

I just boiled about a quart of water with the add pack and cooled/added it to the fermenter. Was about 2.5 hours after pitching. Hope I didn't jack up fermentation or anything (was no activity)

Your gravity and ABV would have been pretty low without that corn sugar. It's a shame they don't just give you a pound of DME instead. It looks like a tasty brew. Let us know how it turns out.

Update:

Woke up this morning to VIGOROUS fermentation (15 hours after pitching). That airlock is cranking!

Here's a piggyback question:

In my first batch I didn't filter it at all. Dumped all o the hop goop and cold break directly into the fermenter and let her go. On this one I filtered it by putting a grain steeping bag in the bottom of the funnel. Problem is that the bag filled up and I ended up having to pull the bag through the neck of the fermenter (it's a carboy) which wrung out all of the hop goop squeezing a ton of hop-laced water into the mix. I'm noticing a VERY hoppy aroma coming off of the airlock. Is that a problem? It's a "west coast red ale" but it's smelling more like an IPA through the top of the airlock.

I really don't think that's an issue. The hop aroma will mellow and your beer, when it's finished, will have little resemblance to what's in your carboy today. Besides, hops are good.

Back