Is this the Kraussen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag

Reaction score
Will you see the kraussen floating on the top in your primary after it falls? I have a Honey Wheat going and the fermentation seems to have dropped off and when I looked in the bucket, there is a sort of broken crust floating all over the top of the beer. It looks just like what is on the sides of the bucket. Is this OK, or do I have a messed up batch already. This is only my second batch and I hope I don't already have problems.
Thanks

Sounds normal. Sometimes the kraussen will coat the pail / carboy above the water line. For me the wheat adds to the effect.

Thanks!! That's a load off my mind!! :)

I'm only on day 5 in my fermenter so it still has a long way to go. I'm not yet set up with a secondary so how long would you leave this in there, at the longest, after my hydrometer readings stabilize?

you can leave it for another 2 weeks...effectively doing your primary and secondary in the same vessel.

you'll just need to be cautious when you rack to your bottlign bucket, as there'll be a deeper yeast cake than you'd get in secondary, and you don't wanna suck it into the bottling bucket (as little as possible)

Where I got my kit the instructions said once the Kraussen falls then move to the secondary. I am brewing a very simple ale and mine fell on the 4th day and I racked on the 6th day. There was a fair amount of bubble activity for the first day and then slowed to nothing. The beer looks really good but I don't plan to bottle for another week + which will be 18 days in the secondary. After reading this forum I wish that I would have left it in the primary for a few more days but this is my first batch so I'll just wait until I bottle and drink before I get to worried.

slugdoug said:
Where I got my kit the instructions said once the Kraussen falls then move to the secondary. I am brewing a very simple ale and mine fell on the 4th day and I racked on the 6th day. There was a fair amount of bubble activity for the first day and then slowed to nothing. The beer looks really good but I don't plan to bottle for another week + which will be 18 days in the secondary. After reading this forum I wish that I would have left it in the primary for a few more days but this is my first batch so I'll just wait until I bottle and drink before I get to worried.

What you lacked in Primary time you are making up for in the Secondary. All is good! :)

Back