Yeast Blend Hoppy Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigelow92

Reaction score
Hey ya'll! I love wheat beers of all sorts, but find myself disappointed by the relative "cleaness" of American wheats, so I thought I'd follow Chris white's suggestion and do a yeast mixture! Just brewed this last night, let me know what ya'll think:

5 gal
35 IBUs
~6% alcohol

5# American 2-row
5# Organic Red Wheat
8 oz Aromatic (Belgium)
8 oz Crystal 60 (US)
4 oz Biscuit (Belgium)

1 oz Sorachi Ace @ 30 min
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace @ 10 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace @ 0 min
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace dry hop for 5 days

1 vial WLP051 (California V)
1 vial WLP300 (German Hefeweizen)
*both vials added directly to primary. No starter

Force carb in keg to 2.2 - 2.3 vol CO2

*I was originally bittering at 45, but at the suggestion of my bud at the LHBS, I decided to do the Hop Burst bittering method to get a nice smooth, an flavorful bitterness.

I'm a little nervous about how the subtle dill flavor from the SA will play with the German Hef yeast, but I read about a guy who won 1st place in his very first ever competition with a Sorachi ace sinle hop wheat, so we shall see :)

So, it finished primary and I'm lettin it clean up in the keg. Not at all what I expected, the German Weißbier yeast was a little too shy I think, and Cali ale V stole the show. Next time will do a 2:1 German heffeweizen yeast and Cali ale, or maybe swap the Cali ale out for something less clean.

The hops worked well in the way I wanted, though I might consider Amarillo or something a little more flowery next time.

All in all, not terrible, and I learne a lot. Definately revisions to be made, and I'm sure it will improve with a week or so to clear up

Back