March Pump Wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hey All-

I know how to safely wire things together, and plan on using GCFI outlets in my system, but what's the easiest way to wire switches into a rig with pumps? I have a 5 gang waterproof enclosure with switches that are enclosed. On the front of the box are levers that basically move the regular lighting switches that are enclosed inside (if that makes sense). I'll have to take a photo, b/c I can't find one online.

I wonder about how to "plug in" my rig.....I guess I'll just run a grounded cord to a GCFI outlet (probably 2 outlets) and then plug the pumps in. I guess I'll have to splice the switches into the pumps from there. Any spark chasers out there got a nicer way to do this?:mug:

I used a basic home light switch, that I waterproofed on my own. It seems from your description, you can use the box you have. Just wire it like you would any other switch, breaking the load (black) line and tying off the ground and current (white). I would go a little overboard on the securing of wire nuts with elec. tape. And like you said, GFI for sure.

Hey Steve,
If you set up like most brewers, there might be a little height to your rig. It might be wise to think about the placement of your switch. Liquids rarely spill "up" and most safety switches you encounter in the Navy are at eye level. If you can, mount your switches in a bank located at eye level where they are easy to access. Another note when wiring, make sure the GFCI you are using is not hooked up to a GFCI circut in your home (such as required by code in a kitchen or bath) If I'm not mistaken, two GFCI's in a row may not work as intended, leaving you at risk. Good Luck!
:tank:

Seabee John said:
Hey Steve,
If you set up like most brewers, there might be a little height to your rig. It might be wise to think about the placement of your switch. Liquids rarely spill "up" and most safety switches you encounter in the Navy are at eye level. If you can, mount your switches in a bank located at eye level where they are easy to access. Another note when wiring, make sure the GFCI you are using is not hooked up to a GFCI circut in your home (such as required by code in a kitchen or bath) If I'm not mistaken, two GFCI's in a row may not work as intended, leaving you at risk. Good Luck!

Good advice...thanks! I actually recently "chopped" my rig....but I plan on using weatherproof housings for my outlets and switches. I'll check to make sure I don't already have a GFCI in the garage.:mug:

Seabee John said:
Hey Steve,

FWIW, I did a bit of research and 2 GFCI's in series is okay. Basically, either unit should sense the variation in current and trip. Doesn't matter which, you just gotta check and rest both if they do trip. If you have a source that states otherwise, please let me know so I don't do the "110 shuffle" :cross:

Nah, you are probably correct about the two GFCI's in series. It's not an issue I deal with often... (I believe I was recalling some stern warning belted out by the safety Nazi back in my active duty battalion days)

Ha! I'm the Pseudo-Safety-Nazi now...but we all work crazy shifts/hours......so nobody learns anything!;)

Please post a picture when you figure it out. I have an enclosure with a switch and a GCFI and I couldn't figure it out. Ended up tripping the circuit a half-dozen times.

Could be that you're drawing too much current, Cheese. Are you using just a pump, or is there a bigger draw?

Back