White House Honey Ale - adding more honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginbham

Reaction score
So I've decided to brew the White House Honey Ale next, but have read that the honey flavor is fairly muted, since it's added during the boil. I've never brewed with honey before and I'm curious if I can add more honey during fermentation to bump up the aroma and flavor. I don't really know how much honey would make a difference; I'm afraid that adding too much would mess with the texture of the beer, is there any merit to that?

I'm also curious about this. I brewed it last week and it is currently in the fermenter. I had a feeling that the honey wouldn't really stand out being that it is only a pound and is added during the boil.

The further from the boil you add it the more flavor and aroma compounds will come through, but it will still be subtle. I added a pound to an amber ale after flameout and it ended up with a slight whiff of honey in the aroma and the barest hint in the flavor if you were looking for it. I've heard that adding a little honey malt (in this case to your steeping grains) adds some flavor and a little sweetness, but it's real easy to overdo that. If honey is what you're after I would go with 2-4oz of honey malt and add all the honey either after flameout or in the fermenter. You could also use honey in place of sugar for bottling.

I added my honey at flame out. my beer has WAY too much honey aroma. I think it tastes like honey too but it may just be the aroma fooling my tastebuds.

I also added my honey at flame out, and I'm really happy with how much honey flavor and aroma came through in the beer.

Back