Foam Explosion! Time to Relax.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sburnt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm a brand new member to this forum but have been reading here for a while and have been amazed at and grateful for the depth of experience and knowledge here. I have been brewing with varying frequency for quite a few years, but am finally stepping up the game a bit. I mostly did extract + specialty grain kits or extract recipes before, but now I am partial mashing, did my first AG a few weeks back, and am doing yeast starters now also.

In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for not doing more starters all along, but I guess I was tuning out the advice because my beers all tasted great to me.

Anyway, to get the point, I thought I'd just share a fun little event that happened today. After making a 1L starter with Wyeast 3278 last night, I returned home from work and (not having a stir plate yet) gave it a good shake. And covered myself in a massive eruption of yeasty worty foam! :cross:

Thankfully, I didn't lose it all, so hopefully I can build it back up and use it for my first lambic-style. I figure it'll all be fine. I've learned to relax. And now I've also learned to use a more gentle touch with my starters! Not that all of you don't know this already, of course, just sharing my foam explosion with you.

LOL. kinda like when i recommended someone pressurize their keg with 30psi and forgot to let them know there MIGHT be a bit of liquid that comes flying at their face when doing so.

Back