Who needs a digital scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I used a digital scale for the first time on my last brew day & I wouldn't want to brew without it. I just noticed that groupon goods has one for $24 if anyone is interested. Figured I'd let y'all know.

Yeah, I was gonna say, cheap digital scales aren't hard to wrangle.

The question is the usable range. A 7kg scale accurate to 1g costing under $100 is pretty useless under about 100g, usually.

You want a scale good to .1g or better for measuring hops accurately.

So you get two low-cost scales or one high dollar scale.

I bought a $10 luggage scale on ebay for measuring out large grain portions (works great and pretty darn accurate! up to 80lbs) and a "razor" for all hops and generally light shiza which needs to be ultra accurate.

I bought two American Weigh Blade scales on amazon and I use them both, a lot. The 0.1g scale was about $10 and the 0.01g scale was about $15, both free shipping with amazon prime. They're small, accurate and easy to calibrate if you're willing to buy calibration weights.

I bought the 0.01g scale initially for wine making where my 0.1g scale just wasn't cutting it. For brewing, I use it for weighting out hops, spices and k-meta to get rid of chlorine and chloramine. I use the 0.1g scale for measuring priming sugar. I really can't imagine brewing without them.

I bought two American Weigh Blade scales on amazon and I use them both, a lot. The 0.1g scale was about $10 and the 0.01g scale was about $15, both free shipping with amazon prime. They're small, accurate and easy to calibrate if you're willing to buy calibration weights.

I bought the 0.01g scale initially for wine making where my 0.1g scale just wasn't cutting it. For brewing, I use it for weighting out hops, spices and k-meta to get rid of chlorine and chloramine. I use the 0.1g scale for measuring priming sugar. I really can't imagine brewing without them.

My .1g scale is fine for measuring hops even in very small quantities for 1 gallon batches, but i did spring for a better grade than the ones intended for more recreational uses. Reputable manufacturers will specify the minimum weight it should be able to measure accurately.

A few weeks ago i went looking for a vendor to sell me some disodium EDTA for deep cleaning purposes (used carboys that MAY have some mercury salts clinging to the glass) and discovered that purebulk also sells pure synthetic caffeine, and it's CHEAP.

And then when i held 100g of pure pharmaceutical grade caffeine in my hands and realized that it's enough to kill me a bunch of times over, I ordered a .001g scale.

They also sell precipitated calcium carbonate (chalk), citric acid (but only 1kg at a time!), and some other straight up chemicals, minerals, and extracts that may be handy for brewers and wine makers.

Latest posts

Back