Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCRedWing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am brewing this weekend and put together this recipe. I would be very grateful for any feedback anyone can offer to help me tweak it before brewing.

I am calling it Evening Hopstitutional
It is a extract brew.

Steep - 30 minutes
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Crystal 20L

Boil
9lbs. Extra light DME
2lbs. honey

Hops
1 oz Summit - boil 60 min
1 oz Simcoe - boil 30 min
1 oz Summit - boil 15 min
1 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo at kettle off
1 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Cascade for dry hop

Yeast White Labs 10th anniversary WLP010

What does everyone think? I am looking for big and hoppy. Trying to get a balance of strong bittering and citrusy aroma and taste. Is this a good hop profile for that or would someone suggest other hops or different timing of additions?

Thanks

I cringe to see precious simcoe at the 30 min mark, a waste imo. Move up the 30 min simcoe to under 15.

I thought about that as well, but with this much potential ABV I thought I should do it longer to up the IBUs. Do you think it would be better to move that addition of Simcoe to 15 and put more Summit or maybe an ounce of Millennium at 30 minutes to get the bittering up?

2 lbs total cara/crystal malts is little bit high percentage for me in an IPA. I'd scale it back to 1lb and you'll still have plenty of body for an IPA. If color is important then you'll have to make some adjustments by using a higher SRM crystal.

RedWing, You can eliminate a 30 minute addition all together. 30 minutes has a lower alpha acid utilization than a smaller amount at 60 and less flavor than the a smaller amount at 15. Most folks consider it a waste of hops as you can get the same characteristics you're looking for with smaller (less wasteful) additions at different times depending on what you're looking for.

Are you using a beer recipe calculator? I think that may help a lot. My Favorite is brewmate because it is free. Give it a try. http://www.brewmate.net/. It'll give IBUs, gravities, etc

I actually like the 2 lbs CaraPils/Crystal... and I agree that Simcoe at anything longer than 15 mins is a waste

Back