When to add malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan71017

Reaction score
I've been reading alot lately that you should add LME/DME at flameout. Won't this method prevent the malt extract from having it's hot break?

From my understanding, malt extract has already had its hot break when they made the extract.

I've read and been told that the earlier you add it the more chance of carmelizing and darker/cloudier beer. I tend to want to add it later, but I'm not sure the effect on hop utilization??

I know many a great extract brewer that add their extract at flameout. In theory this is a good practice. I have tried this and have had great results. But my standard process includes adding the last 10 minutes of the boil. Maybe it's just me but the 10 minutes seems to provide a clearer product. I mean it seems to clear up better boiling the last 10 minutes versus flame out with out using fining or gel. I have not seen any additional darkening of the wort with the 10 minute boil. When I have boiled extracts for longer periods the beer tends to come out darker and have a more muddied flavor, not as fresh tasting is the best way I can describe it.

Late additions seem to be particularly effective with LME. Especially if the LME is pre-hopped. You don't want to boil those at all. But even plain LME is better added at flame out to prevent the chance of caramelization over a 60 minute boil. It'll darken & give what folks call the extract twang. In my recipes,I use a 3lb bag of plain DME & a can of pre-hopped LME. The LME has bittering only.
So I use half a bag of the DME,or 1.5lb in a 2.5-3 gallon partial boil. I use that for my hop additions. The lighter wort gives good utilization in the partial boil. Then add the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Since pasteurization happens at 162F,then the 180F or so residual temp at that point is more than enough to do the job over a couple of minutes.

i'd say it's very beneficial to add half or more of the extract late, especially when using LME. i've found more and more, with brews i've made a few times using both early and late LME adds, that hops utilization isn't really affected by boiling them in a thinner wort. and that brews made adding LME early tend to be darker, less attenuated and sometimes even present the dreaded 'twang' (any number of flavors that come from misusing and/or using old or cheap LME).

Back