My Second Try at this Hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9999USMC

Reaction score
Well I just "brewed" my second batch, a Kangaroo Tail Ale from Homebrew Heaven. My first batch is in bottles and I've been taking one every now and thing and they keep getting better and better (coming up on 14 days now), still a bit to bitter but OK.

I would like to add picture to this post how do I do that?

9999USMC

I think I attached it to this post..............:drunk:

25 March 07 Kangaroo's Tail Ale 11.jpg

9999USMC said:
Just before I moved it, I changed it to the one I used on my first batch :confused:
Any reason? The reason I ask, is, I've had some issues with the orange rubber caps not sealing well. I primary ferment in 5 gal carboys, so I usually hook up a blowoff tube to the orange cap, and after fermentation slows down, I'll swith to the universal stopper with airlock, just as you have in your 2nd pic.

Just have to cultivate that patience. Two weeks in the bottle in the min. before the beer gets good. I've been brewing for ~1year and didn't figure it out till recently. I had a "bad" batch. After I forgot it in the bottle for 3 or 5 weeks I went back to it and it tasted great! All the batches before that were probably consumed by the 4 week mark. and the last bottle was always the best!
So best solution is to get it in gear and brew 4 or 5 batches consecutively. By the time you get around to really drinking some of the beer next month it should be really tasty!

Here is the fix I implemented this evening for the leaky rubber cap - works like a charm:

cap.jpg

hausferment.jpg

EdWort's Haus Pale fermenting away blissfully all warm and happy...

:confused: I pitched my yeast and put my batch in my primary (Sunday). In less than 24 hours my batch was bubbling away and doing great things. Monday afternoon everything stopped one bubble every 2 mins or so. I wasn’t paying attention to the primary temperature (tape temperature gauge on glass carboy) as it was at the 78 degrees. I later put the primary in a cold water “bath” and this morning I was around the 66-68 degree mark.

Any recommendations? Let it sit for the remainder of the week, take a reading and if reading is good, leave alone for another two weeks before “racking”? :confused:

Are you going to use a secondary? Usually the "rule" is 1-2-3, one week (or so) in primary, two weeks in secondary, and three in the bottle to condition. Most of my primary ferments are about 10 days, then anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks in secondary, depending on my work schedule.

If you're not going to use a secondary, then a couple of weeks in primary would be ok.

Latest posts

Back