Glass carboy vs plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of purchasing a glass carboy I'm currently using plastic. The only downside I see could be breakability. Buy could it effect taste? I've noticed a plastic type taste in one of my beers before.

I also have both and can't tell a difference. However, I prefer to us my glass carboys because I'm afraid of scratching my plastic ones.

Glass all the way. I can see how my beer is doing easier + no scratches on glass for bacteria etc. to hide in. I hope !!

I use better bottles. No plastic taste, light, unbreakable ( mostly ) and you won't scratch them if you clean them without using a brush. I do an extended soak with Oxiclean in mine, shake and rinse.

I just don't trust myself with glass.

Try using the search for more info, this topic has been done to death. The bottom line is that either is fine, though they do have some pros and cons: The major con of glass is breakability, as you say; and the major con of plastic is that if it gets scratched it can harbor infection. But with proper care, either will work great.

I'll give you an opinion I'll bet nobody else gives: I have looked at all the pros and cons and I think that, from a purely rational perspective, plastic is the way to go. Cheaper, won't break, etc. And yet I exclusively use glass, with the exception of my bottling bucket. Why? Well, plastic just "feels" like it will never be fully clean or sanitary to me. (And FWIW it does tend to retain smells, although the vast majority of folks say it doesn't affect their beer) I dunno if it's a subconscious paranoia of scratches, or if it's because of the smell-retaining thing, or what... but I really strongly prefer glass.

If you don't have any of those hangups, though, plastic is probably better.

This has been discussed to death on here. My guess is you couldnt tell the difference if I gave you a beer fermented in glass from the one in plastic. Unless the plastic is not foodsafe. The only time I use glass is for long term secondaries for lagers. I use glass for those, because supposably plastic has a slight oxygen permiablity. But Im not sure I really belive that.

This has been discussed to death on here. My guess is you couldnt tell the difference if I gave you a beer fermented in glass from the one in plastic. Unless the plastic is not foodsafe. The only time I use glass is for long term secondaries for lagers. I use glass for those, because supposably plastic has a slight oxygen permiablity. But Im not sure I really belive that.

You can believe that plastic does have more oxygen permeability than glass, but in practice it probably doesn't make a difference, especially if you are using Better Bottles or something specifically designed for brewing. That it's more permeable is just a scientific fact, but the amount is veeerrrry slight and many people have reported good results doing long-term bulk aging in plastic.

I reiterate that I'm a glass-only guy though. I just like it better. Maybe if I have one break, that will change my mind...

Back