Hiatus - back to brewing after a leave of absence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouT

Can't wait to go AG...
Reaction score
There are several of us that are just getting back into brewing after a Hiatus -- Just leave a note here: name, time away from brewing, date of first batch "back", etc. Might be interesting to include age/gender - someone implied "midlife crisis sportscar-alternative"!

Away from brewing since 1992, first batch "back" was Jan 2007. Now I'm brewing with my oldest son, 14, which is a lot of fun and a nice way to have together time at his age. I'm 39, male.

First brewed in 1992 (I think). Stopped in 1995. Moved from Wisconsin to Colorado. Brewing equip. got damaged in move. Wife gave me new equipment (including wort chiller!) for Christmas in 2005. Finally got around to brewing in January, 2007.

Why, oh why did I wait? I'm fully obsessed. And I, too, am brewing with some help from my 15-year-old son.

I moved in December and it took me 3 months to get back to brewing. It was terrible. :p

Now I've made 3 batches in 3 weeks. (1 was the disaster)

Seriously, welcome back guys!

I stopped brewing in 1997, moved to a very small domicle with 2 kids...absolutely no room. We moved into a real house in '03...started brewing again in '05...been brewing ever since!

Yeah, it seems like moving is a common thread in the beginning of the hiatus. I moved from MA to AZ and even though I brought my brewing stuff with me, I never brewed there -- it was too damn hot, I was still very much a beginner, we had a 9 month old, and there was no basement (slab home). When we moved to NC 2 years later, I think I just left the hobby alone because I was into other things - mostly my Harley passion - and again, no basement, just crawlspace - never seemed to have enough room until I got back up here. It's funny, but SWMBO is saying how happy she is to see me "into" something again, it's been a long time. I'm loving it now, though! I still think AG is down the road quite a bit, but.... who knows....

great thread LouT

i too am recently back into brewing and fully obsessed. stared to brew in 99 and stopped in 01. started again in 07 and i'm already 30 gallons deep this year.

Nice, fimpster! Age/Gender?
I'm only 5-6 gallons deep, but have a batch in primary now, one on deck - maybe brewing this weekend...

First Brew, June 2006.
Last Brew, Oct. 2006. Had to stop to save money for the holidays.

Starting again April 2007. It's been way too long and I'm beginning to feel the shakes coming on.

25 years old here.

I think I started back in 1990 or so and had about 50 batches under my belt. I was doing all grain towards the end. I was even pondering opening a micor-brew pub. I stopped around 95 due to the kids reaching age 3...times were busy ! We moved too a new house in 2002 and I never unpacked my homebrew equipment until last night. I can't find my old records or books. Kids are now teens. I'm currently 42. I bought a convertible 3 years ago so that was my crisis car.

I can't see doing all grain again but who knows ? I'm curious to see how much I get hooked again !

I brewed my first batch in 1987 and continued till I brewed my last back in Provo, Utah in March 1999. Since then I lived in Alabama and Texas where it's hot and basements are rare. I finally lived up to a promise to contribute to a neighborhood brew fest last year and made my first batch of Apfelwein in 7 years. That was early July 2006.

Since then, I have made 47 gallons of Apfelwein and have brewed 10 batches of beer, 8 of which have been All Grain. Going All Grain has changed my life. :D

I started brewing late last year, first time period. I'm 43 with a 3 year old and a 18 year old......don't ask....new marriage, new baby.....anyway, I work for the Department of Defense and have traveled all over the States and Europe. I had made a point to visit every microbrewery I could during those times because I thought they were so much better than BMC. Just last year I finally got around to surfing the internet on brewing and low and behold, home brew pops up. I knew then and there that my purpose in life had been finally forfilled. I have my three year old help me when it's possible...stir the wort, rinse out the kegs, etc. etc. but never EVER get "stupid drunk" around her. Want her to see that having a brew is OK and it can be controlled without getting stupid. Something like "College chicks gone wild" and my daughter just don't sit right with me, so I got some time to teach her. Plus, my father and his father were staunch alcoholics. Got a boat load of bad memories that I am not going to put her through.
Anyway, been brewing like a dog in heat since around September last year. Have 14 extracts under my belt and each of them is getting better. I am starting to learn my likes and dislikes.

EdWort said:
I brewed my first batch in 1987 and continued till I brewed my last back in Provo, Utah in March 1999. Since then I lived in Alabama and Texas where it's hot and basements are rare. I finally lived up to a promise to contribute to a neighborhood brew fest last year and made my first batch of Apfelwein in 7 years. That was early July 2006.

Since then, I have made 47 gallons of Apfelwein and have brewed 10 batches of beer, 8 of which have been All Grain. Going All Grain has changed my life. :D

12 years straight of brewing then a 7 year hiatus - Gosh, I can see how AG could change your life!

Back