too warm to brew a Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64661

Reaction score
Howdy,

This last weekend I broke out the recipe ingredients that I had gathered a month or so ago. One of them is Biermuncher's Krisper Kolsch.
I do not have the ability to lager. Is it too warm to ferment a Kolsch? I can get to about 65-67 in the kitchen with a fan blowing on the bucket.

Thanks,

Txinga

Can you put the bucket in a tub of water with some ice? How bout a tub of water with a towel over it wicking up some water and a fan blowing across the damp towel? If you can get to 60 you'll be better off.

60-62 max.
65 is not too bad but like the last post said, it won't be as clean.

WLP029 is clean all the way up to 70 degrees. I have brewed a great kolsh even letting it rise to 72. Just dont forget to cold condition(lager) your beer for as long as you can stand before bottling/kegging. IMO, this is where the kolsch magic happens.

WLP029 is clean all the way up to 70 degrees. I have brewed a great kolsh even letting it rise to 72. Just dont forget to cold condition(lager) your beer for as long as you can stand before bottling/kegging. IMO, this is where the kolsch magic happens.

+1

Definitely true! It is an ale yeast that's designed to ferment from 65-69 degrees with a good lager time. Only concern with letting it ferment at 65-67 is that the active fermentation can raise the temp 5-10 degrees....

--break--

If the thermometer on the side of the fermenter is reading between 65 and 69, good to go. I'd certainly not dump it if it gets a bit warmer but it --may-- influence the flavor. I'd be most concerned about getting the correct temps for the first 3 days if you can.

+1

Definitely true! It is an ale yeast that's designed to ferment from 65-69 degrees with a good lager time. Only concern with letting it ferment at 65-67 is that the active fermentation can raise the temp 5-10 degrees....

--break--

If the thermometer on the side of the fermenter is reading between 65 and 69, good to go. I'd certainly not dump it if it gets a bit warmer but it --may-- influence the flavor. I'd be most concerned about getting the correct temps for the first 3 days if you can.

Definitely true about the fermentation raising the temperature. I have an IPA bubbling away in a spare bedroom that has had a pretty constant ambient temp of 61 degrees and the stick-on thermometer has been reading between 64 and 66.

Back