Ommegang's yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went on their tour this summer (sidebar: if you have not been, you need to! A GREAT tour), and they stated it is not available to homebrewers.

That said, they use one strain for ALL of their brews, and also for bottle conditioning. So they suggest getting a bottle of their Wit and building up a yeast colony from the dregs of that bottle; they suggest their Wit because it is their lowest ABV beer so the yeast will have been stressed the least.

Hope this helps.

:mug:

Oh I already have lots of their yeast. I cultured it out of a bottle of Abbey Ale. I've done a BPA, a Dubbel, and a Saison with their yeast so far and have two tube hanging out in the fridge for whatever is next. I was just curious which of the commercial offerings was most similar in ester/phenol profile.

I was wondering the other day if they bottle condition with the same yeast... question answered now got to build one up. Thanks

I'm surprised that it isn't a commercially available yeast. Given that Ommegang is owned by the Duvel folks, I thought they would use the Duvel yeast which is WLP570.

Ommegang started before Duvel was involved with them at all. Their yeast was purchsed from the bank at University of Leuven in Belgium.

Back