Naturally carbing keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to naturally carb some kegs. I have just a few questions.

I'll prime and add sugar and let age 3 weeks.

1. What kind of pressure should I use for serving pressure?

2. Should I remove from CO2 pressure when I am not drinking to prevent overcarbing?

3. Will a naturally carb keg last a very long time?

1. Depends on your system and the style of beer, I typically use appx. 5lbs which works with my system. Factors are: Length of beer line, if you are regulating each keg, if you have different styles in each keg, etc.

2. Don't quite understand the question. If you are naturally carbing, leave it alone until it's done then I purge the pressure before connecting to CO2 then bring it up to serving pressure.

3. Yes it should last a year or more, Mine usually get drunk up within a couple months at most.

Hope this helps.

1. Serving pressure depends on the system - ideally your system should be balanced so that you're serving at the same pressure that will maintain carbonation. I use picnic taps with 5' lines and can serve at 10-11 psi without excess foaming (my keezer is at 39 degrees). If you have to lower the pressure to serve, the beer will slowly decrease in carbonation level unless you turn it back up when not pouring.

2. Unless your pressure is up too high, your kegs will not overcarbonate - they will equalize to the pressure that you have set and stay there. There are charts that will show you how much pressure you need to maintain a certain carbonation volume at various temperatures. I leave my CO2 hooked up and on 24/7 at 10-11 psi, this is also my serving pressure and it works out well.

3. It should, especially if refrigerated.

Latest posts

Back