Flaked rice vs Minute rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember this one to save my neck. I am going to brew another batch of Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops hopefully this weekend. And I bought some flaked rice since I was ordering some other stuff anyway to save myself a trip to the grocery store. I know with minute rice that I have used many times in the past, you just toss it in the mash. What about flaked rice? Can I just mash it as is or do I need to gelatinize it first?

You know, if I hadn't had the momentary lapse of intelligence, I could have just gone back to Austin Homebrew's site and answered my own question. Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

To anyone else who may still have a question:

Pregelatinized rice flakes have been produced specifically for brewing. The process of gelatinizing makes the starches readily soluble and digestible by the naturally occurring enzymes in barley malt. This allows the flakes to be incorporated directly into the mash with other grains. Because flakes have a large surface area and are pre-cooked, they hydrate and disintegrate quickly. Filtration time will be normal. Pregelatinized rice flakes are made from medium-grain rice and produce a light, clean and crisp characteristic in the finished beer.

Yes, "flaked" is a flakey marketing term for gelatinized most often. Instead of doing it the way we would, which would leave them with a gooey mess to sell, rollers can be used to create heat from pressure without having to get it wet. That's why rolled oats and flaked oats mean the same thing. The difference would be that some of those processes pre-wet the grain. Someone correct me if I err, but for our purposes it doesn't make a difference, no?

Back