Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
I just recieved a kit from AHS but when I ran it through beer smith the IBUs were too low.

It calls for

1 oz of Perle 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
.5 oz Cascade flame out
.5 oz Cascade dry hop

about a 19, also I thought SNPA used Magnum?

What if I do this

1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz cascade 20 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz cascade dry hop

Close to 30, I think.

Any ideas, advice?

Biermuncher also has a clone, I think he said his is a bit low on the malt side and he doesnt use magnum either.

Nierra Sevada is what he called it. Keep in mind his a 10 gallon batch. I'm actually brewing this up tonight, but I'm going to swap out an oz of perle for however much magnum it needs to keep the IBUs close to the real beer.

Biermuncher also has a clone, I think he said his is a bit low on the malt side and he doesnt use magnum either.

Nierra Sevada is what he called it. Keep in mind his a 10 gallon batch. I'm actually brewing this up tonight, but I'm going to swap out an oz of perle for however much magnum it needs to keep the IBUs close to the real beer.

Looks like the same recipie as far as hops schedule but when I plugged it into beersmith my IBUs were lower than what he states. (and still no magnum_

This is straight from the source...

0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min.

6.5 gallon batch - use the above schedule in your system to acheive 37 IBU

This is straight from the source...

0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min.

6.5 gallon batch - use the above schedule in your system to acheive 37 IBU

Do you have an inside tip? :) That looks about like what I was thinking... maybe a little perle at 60 too...

I'm excited to brew this tonight

It's also listed on page 32 of BYO's 150 Classic Clone Recipes. I'm kegging it today and was pretty tasty when I transferred to secondary. The one thing I did different was I used pellet Cascade in place of whole for dry hopping (it's what I had on hand).

This is my first brew in about five years. I wanted to do a clone to see if my system http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af17/slbradley01/?action=view&current=BrewSystem002.jpg was working correctly. Hit the OG of 1.052 on the nose. 1.011 FG after 8 days. Just racked to secondary. Smelled delicious. Will keg in 2 weeks and let you know how it turns out. Just like riding a bicycle.

All Grain Recipe - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone ::: 1.052/1.012 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)
10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1.25 lbs. - Crystal Malt (60L)
Hop Schedule (33 IBU)
1/3 oz. - Magnum - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Perle - 30 min.
1 oz. - Cascade - 10 min.
2 oz. - Cascade - at flameout
Yeast: I used Safale, Nottingham Recomended, but brew store didn't have any.
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual: I did a batch sparge using verlhof(sp), very simple and quick.
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

I just recieved a kit from AHS but when I ran it through beer smith the IBUs were too low.

It calls for

1 oz of Perle 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
.5 oz Cascade flame out
.5 oz Cascade dry hop

about a 19, also I thought SNPA used Magnum?

What if I do this

1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz cascade 20 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz cascade dry hop

Close to 30, I think.

Any ideas, advice?

i use beersmith as well, if i take any recipe and enter it in, i get a different value for IBU. there are a few different formulas out there for figuring IBU's, i think you can pick in beersmith what formula you want to use.

i say brew it how it was shipped, and decide after drinking how/what changes you'd make.

Too late I brewed this on fathers day with the altered hop schedule. SNPA needs magnum!!!!

Back