And the results are in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewMI

Reaction score
Well, today was a historic day for me. I drew off 1 gallon of my cider, which is currently sitting at a SG of 1.001. If my math is correct, it gives me an ABV of just over 6%. The first taste was extremely bitter, almost to the point of being undrinkable, so I hit it with a campden tablet and backsweetened with apple juice. I added about 1/3 of a gallon, so I'm figuring that it's sitting somewhere in the 4% range now, which I'm perfectly happy with.

The results, in my opinion, are pretty good for a first attempt. Still somewhat bitter, but with enough sweetness that it's very pleasant after the second or third drink. Almost like a granny smith apple with a nice alcoholy kick to it. :)

Can't wait for the other 4 gallons to finish and clear so I can carb and bottle them woot!

Ok, that's enough for tonight, time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Happy St. Patty's Day to all and to all a drunk night! :mug:

Well, today was a historic day for me. I drew off 1 gallon of my cider, which is currently sitting at a SG of 1.001. If my math is correct, it gives me an ABV of just over 6%. The first taste was extremely bitter, almost to the point of being undrinkable, so I hit it with a campden tablet and backsweetened with apple juice. I added about 1/3 of a gallon, so I'm figuring that it's sitting somewhere in the 4% range now, which I'm perfectly happy with.

The results, in my opinion, are pretty good for a first attempt. Still somewhat bitter, but with enough sweetness that it's very pleasant after the second or third drink. Almost like a granny smith apple with a nice alcoholy kick to it. :)

Can't wait for the other 4 gallons to finish and clear so I can carb and bottle them woot!

Ok, that's enough for tonight, time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Happy St. Patty's Day to all and to all a drunk night! :mug:

Sounds like you're having a good time!

Campden doesn't kill yeast, so if you added fermentables to the cider, they will ferment out and boost the ABV, not sweeten the cider. It might stun the yeast a bit, but they'll revive and ferment the backsweetening. If you didn't use sorbate with the campden, the yeast will reproduce but maybe pretty slowly.

If you keep them cold, and drink them fairly quickly, I think you should be fine. Just don't do it again.

Ok sounds good, they actually all wound up gone last night, but I'll keep that in mind for future bottling. What can I use to actually kill the yeast or completely prevent future fermentation so I can back sweeten?

potassium sorbate first....then you can sweeten to your hearts content. Or you can bottle and use lactose which is unfermentable and wont add to ABV

Back