Still Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
I brewed a batch like a month and a half ago. Still bubbling. I used 2 lbs of brown rice syrup. Is this normal? I used Nottingham yeast :confused: that was still not expired.
Cant wait to try this one.

Well, it probably is done, but to be sure take a couple hydrometer readings a few days apart to make sure the gravity is stable and near where you expect it to be.

Conventional wisdom around here is that bubbling is not a sure-fire gauge of fermentation.

Again, even if air lock bubbles around a minute and a half?

Well, my experience would tell me that at that level of airlock activity it is definitely done, but hydrometer readings is the sure way to tell.

Not that NOT taking hydrometer readings is awful, lots of people still use the 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary method. I've been guilty of that myself when in a hurry.

I would take at least one hydrometer reading just to make sure you don't end up with bottle bombs, but a bubble every minute and a half is VERY LITTLE airlock activity.

However, you haven't mentioned a lot yet. What size is your batch? What temp is it fermenting at?

Back