Orange Zest/Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so I always use bitter and sweet Orange peel in the recipe I want to do tomorrow. However I am out of orange peel.

I don't want to spend $7 shipping 2 1oz bags and don't want to drive 3 hours (round trip) to MDHB

How many oranges would I need to grate to get the same effect as .25 oz of each (sweet and Bitter) dried orange peel, and how thick should I grate the peel?

I don't know where to get bitter or sweet orange peel but I would look to get oranges of your liking and peel the rind right off and dry it. Depending on the moisture content and size of the orange peels you can use up to half dozen.

Once you peel the oranges, chop the rind into strips or cubes and dry in oven till dry.

Trick is 2 know which oranges to use for bitter and which to use for sweet. I am definately going down this route but would like to find out which is which. I have dried sunkist orange peels and florida navel orange peels before but don't know if there is any difference in taste.

- WW

What I've read lately is you don't want the white part of the peel, only the zest, so if you're using fresh, zest.
Grapefruit zest serves well for bitter orange
Navel orange will probably do for sweet orange
You could use two of each to start and alter the recipe for the second batch from there.

I think bitter orange peel is just the zest with a little bit of the pith and sweet orange peel is just the zest. They don't come from different types of oranges.

Back