Mini-fridge with freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESPY

Reaction score
I found a great deal on a mini fridge the other day at Home Depot. They were selling the display model for $80, reg $130. I decided to get it even though it might not be ideal for converting to a corny-keg fridge.

Part of the problem is that it has a freezer section and so a 5-gal corny won't fit unless the freezer section is removed. But, most of the components of the freezer look easy enough to take out. Does anyone know how these so-called freezer compartments work? If I remove the enclosure, is there any way to disable it or, is that even necessary? Do they work just because it's a mostly-closed space close to the cold air? If that's the case then removing the enclosure shouldn't cause much of a problem. The rest of the fridge might run a little cooler, but maybe not even noticable.

ESPY said:
I found a great deal on a mini fridge the other day at Home Depot. They were selling the display model for $80, reg $130. I decided to get it even though it might not be ideal for converting to a corny-keg fridge.

Part of the problem is that it has a freezer section and so a 5-gal corny won't fit unless the freezer section is removed. But, most of the components of the freezer look easy enough to take out. Does anyone know how these so-called freezer compartments work? If I remove the enclosure, is there any way to disable it or, is that even necessary? Do they work just because it's a mostly-closed space close to the cold air? If that's the case then removing the enclosure shouldn't cause much of a problem. The rest of the fridge might run a little cooler, but maybe not even noticable.
What brand is it?
Mine had a freezer unit as well, and it cannot be removed because that is where the freon line goes to to cool the entire fridge. If you break that line you might as well put the fridge out on the curb for next week's trash! It's junk!

I "manipulated" mine to work. My ultimate goal was two 3 gallon cornys, but I actually made it work so I can fit one 3 gal and one 5 gal now. I wanted the 3 gallon cornys so I could still bottle some of my batches. Anyway--if you need help, let me know.
I just took a picture so you could see how I moved the freezer panel up so I could stuff that 5 gal corny in there. I bent it VERY carefully and locked it behind the upper mounts. Works perfect. You can see there on the left is room enough for the 3 gal up on the half shelf in back.

Dsc03208.jpg

orrelse said:
What brand is it?
Mine had a freezer unit as well, and it cannot be removed because that is where the freon line goes to to cool the entire fridge. If you break that line you might as well put the fridge out on the curb for next week's trash! It's junk!

I "manipulated" mine to work. My ultimate goal was two 3 gallon cornys, but I actually made it work so I can fit one 3 gal and one 5 gal now. I wanted the 3 gallon cornys so I could still bottle some of my batches. Anyway--if you need help, let me know.
I just took a picture so you could see how I moved the freezer panel up so I could stuff that 5 gal corny in there. I bent it VERY carefully and locked it behind the upper mounts. Works perfect. You can see there on the left is room enough for the 3 gal up on the half shelf in back.

Dsc03208.jpg

Well...it's a Magic Chef brand. Looks similar in size to yours. But, I solved the problem the easy way. I found out today that Sears had a Kenmore freezer-less fridge on sale for $159. This is $40 cheaper than I had previously found any other frezzer-less ones locally and it's big enough to hold two 5-gal cornys. So I went ahead and got it. My wife and I had already decided that we could use two anyway - one for me to convert to a kegerator and the other to store bottled beer and beer making supplies. But at $200 for all of the good-sized models I was reluctant. Now all of my beer stuff is out of her fridge and into my own and I'll be able to easily convert the new one to a kegerator. :D

Thanks for the info and if I have any questions as I convert it I'll be sure to ask.

SP

What brand is it?

Dsc03208.jpg

I know that this is a really old post, but I was hoping that you could let me know how you managed to bend the tray to the top of the fridge like that?
I currently have a fridge that I am converting and want to fit my 5 gallon corny in the mini fridge.
I really want to avoid ruining the fridge and not having a home for my kegged beer.
Thank you,
Matt

same here, i just posted on the DIY section to see if there was anyone else who had wanted to build a kegerator, but did not measure before purchasing the equipment to convert. glad to know that i am not the only one who has done this. my fridge is a haier model.

Very nice idea to self create a mini fridge - I hope we can increase the size also in case require
Thanks
frost-frigobar

Back