Possible Emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
I am finishing up my first AG. I busted my hydrometer inside my sanitizing solution just now. I obviously can't take a SG reading. But I'm more concerned about whats inside the hydrometer. What kind of materials are inside? Anything poisonous? Its a standard approximately $8 hydrometer.

c.n.budz said:
If it's not in the wort who cares? I'd be more concerned with glass shards, just mix up a new batch of sanitizer.

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I think all is good. I was more concerned that if there was some sort of poisonous metal (like mercury in a old thermometer) that I could get poisoned or whatever. So I guess i'll take everything out of the bucket, rinse well, and make a new batch. Thanks.

I'm guessing the metal at the bottom is lead, which is toxic...

Why not just throw away that batch of sanitizing solution? Did it touch your wort or something?

bensyverson said:

Why not just throw away that batch of sanitizing solution? Did it touch your wort or something?

Why would you sanitize your hydrometer? When does it ever touch your wort? You are of course pulling out a sample, testing it, and throwing it away right?

slyngshot said:
Why would you sanitize your hydrometer? When does it ever touch your wort? You are of course pulling out a sample, testing it, and throwing it away right?

Honestly, in the middle of the brew, I wasn't thinking. I just dropped it down int he bucket not paying attention. I definitely do throw the sample out. It was just a brain fart throwing it in the sanitizer. Thank you for checking me though. It was my first AG, so it wouldn't have surprised me if I would have done that. Other than the hydrometer loss, the AG was a relative success. I was about three degrees from my mash goal and used a 5G MLT (big mistake). Thought I could fit it and couldn't, so next time its a bigger one. So all in all it was a success, even if I didn't pull it off without a hitch.

bensyverson said:

I just had some stuff in the solution. I just rinsed well and made another batch and put it back. I generally leave my tubing and a couple other things in the sanitizer at all times. It didn't appear that anything happened with the metal. I mean it appeared that everything was still intact when i pulled it out. Hopefully, all is well.

I just broke my hydrometer the other day too... Man those are hand tools, but so fragile. Good thing they're only 4 bucks at my local brewing store.

The worst part about this is now you will not know what your extraction efficiency is! Guess you need to go get more grain and do it again! :) Oh yeah, and a new hydrometer...

sittingturbo said:
I just broke my hydrometer the other day too... Man those are hand tools, but so fragile. Good thing they're only 4 bucks at my local brewing store.

The worst part about this is now you will not know what your extraction efficiency is! Guess you need to go get more grain and do it again! :) Oh yeah, and a new hydrometer...

Ha Ha! I tried to come into the house with the saddest face possible. I was already working my nerve up to tell SWMBO that I'm gonna "have to" try it again because "I really screwed up" :rockin:

LOL! Never thought of that! What other "cheap" equipment can I accidentally break??

Or, I coudl just say something like, "Aw man, I just got sparge water in my mash tun because of this cheap hydrometer. Well, I dont' want to throw it all out, but I better get another batch right away, in case this one is gone bad!"

Back