My tripel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
Hello all just looking for input on my Belgian tripel recipe.

13lbs 2 row
1lb Honey after primary has started
wyeast Belgian strong ale at 72F

Hops
1.50 oz Hallartauer 3.8% 60 Mins
1 oz Hallartauer 3.8% 15 Mins
.25oz corriander seeds 5 Mins

Est OG1.077
Est FG 1.010
abv- 8.78
Ibu- 25

Sound good? Going to brew this hopefully Monday, Just made my yeast starter today.

My take on tripels? Good start, but you need more sugar/honey and get rid of the spice. Save the spices for wits and blondes...tripels are sacred!

I agree, take the spice out. Honestly, I've never put honey in a Belgian beer so I'm not sure I should comment on that. But, since you are using it like sugar I would put another pound after fermentation starts. Also, I would shoot for a lower fg. Try to get that baby as low as it'll go. :) good luck!

I'm with you pjk. The triple I'm fermenting now used sugar additions to primary. It's been 10 days and those suckers are still swarming in there. I'm down to 1.026 as of last night. Hoping for 1.008 or lower.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Yea my local brewpub did a tripel a while back and it was fantastic! Thats really where i got the idea from and since honey can almost fully ferment out I thought I would just use it as my sugar addition.

Yea my local brewpub did a tripel a while back and it was fantastic! Thats really where i got the idea from and since honey can almost fully ferment out I thought I would just use it as my sugar addition.

I like the idea of using honey for your sugar. I used a sugar blend where I inverted some organic cane sugar, used some corn sugar, and used some turbinado sugar. Why? I have no idea...its why we homebrew right? :tank: Id generally recommend anywhere from 12 - 20% sugars in your triple and mash that sucker super low to dry it out. I wish mine was finished fermenting so I could tell you how much attenutation I got! My target is 1.008.

yea Im going to mash at about 149-150 just a single infusion for 60 mins and i guess ill just add some more honey probably around 1.5-2 lbs in the primary. And I wanted to add the coriander seed cause I CAN! Plus Ive seen a few recipes on here that used it.

Not that I have a problem with it, but is there a reason you prefer 2 row over pilsner malt? All "true" Belgian tripels that I know of use Pilsner Malt. 2-row could add a cool dimension to it and like I mentioned before...its why we homebrew. I was just wondering.

mhenry41h said:
Not that I have a problem with it, but is there a reason you prefer 2 row over pilsner malt? All "true" Belgian tripels that I know of use Pilsner Malt. 2-row could add a cool dimension to it and like I mentioned before...its why we homebrew. I was just wondering.

Just cause its all i got on hand.

Poobah58 said:
A little spice in a Tripel is a good thing AFAIAC. Might try using honey in my next one...

If the yeast make it ;-)

How do you guys go about adding sugar/honey to the primary after fermentation starts? How do you "sanitize" it? I can see reducing cane/table sugar by boiling it to get it to a syrup before adding, but what about honey? Just curious.
Thanks!
Let us know how the triple turns out as I am sitting in the sun currently drinking a Chimay White and contemplating capturing the yeast in the bottom of the bottle and brewing up a triple with it at some point in the future.

beerspitnight said:
How do you guys go about adding sugar/honey to the primary after fermentation starts? How do you "sanitize" it? I can see reducing cane/table sugar by boiling it to get it to a syrup before adding, but what about honey? Just curious.
Thanks!
Let us know how the triple turns out as I am sitting in the sun currently drinking a Chimay White and contemplating capturing the yeast in the bottom of the bottle and brewing up a triple with it at some point in the future.

Oh, I'm jealous! Homemade syrup is a pain to get in your carboy. I fear that I'm not getting all of the intended sugar in. Thus, I use a little more water than necessary so that it's watery when I boil it. If I ever used honey, I think I'd boil my water 15 minutes, then add the honey in the last minute so as not to drive off that wonderful aroma.

With honey im just going to dump it in from the container its in when initial fermentation is about 3/4 done. Im brewing this now and am so excited!

khugs21 said:
With honey im just going to dump it in from the container its in when initial fermentation is about 3/4 done. Im brewing this now and am so excited!

Rock on man! I've been "carboy watching" for two weeks to the day with my tripel! Two weeks in and the yeasties are still a swirlin'! I'm thinking it may actually take 4 weeks to finish and clear. Hydro sample was at 1.026 on Weds. I'm not taking another until next weekend hoping it's down around 1.013-1.010. I'll let it go one more week without secondary hoping to squeeze it down around 1.008 from approximately 1.081.

Khugs - are you going off the assumption that the honey is "sanitary" enough to just plop it into the primary straight from the container?

Im pritty sure ive read in a lot of threads that its ok to just add it into the fermenter. Correct me if im wrong though.

Back