First Recipe (Lime Mexican Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha492

Reaction score
I looked up some other recipes online and tried to come up with my own I'm not sure this is going to end up right though so let me know.
6 Gallon Batch

1lb Black Patent
1lb 60l Crystal Malt Grain
1oz Northbrewer Hop
1oz Northbrewer Hop
6lb Amber DMA <<< Thinking of going lighter
Mexican Lager Yeast

Mash grains, 30 Minutes around 150*. Add in Malt Extract and stir till next step 5 minutes at least -> Add in northbrewer hops and let stick for 50 Minutes -> Then add Saaz hops let boil for 5 minutes. At Flameout add lime zest then cool to 80. Pitch yeast.
Put in Primary for 7 days then leave for diecytol rest for another 7. Rack onto peeled limes and lager at 48* for 1 month.

Anyone with some experience have any insight to how something like this would come out.

No black patent, use Light DME, crystal 20L instead. Not a pound just like 4 oz. Make sure boiling before hops.

Dude just use a pre-designed recipe.

ok so I'm thinking .25 pounds of black patent just for a dark color like dos equis,

Why crystal 20l and light dme though mezak1gd?

if you want color only, carafa special is the way to go. color with no roasty flavor. were talking 2 or 3 ounces though

That beer should be very dark, like a stout color, if that's what you're going for. The crystal 60L will make it dark, not just the black patent, and the amber DME will also make it dark. If that's what you're looking for, a black lager, you can still get it by cutting the black patent to one or two ounces.

.... then cool to 80. Pitch yeast.
Put in Primary for 7 days then leave for diecytol rest for another 7. Rack onto peeled limes and lager at 48* for 1 month.

lager yeast pitched @ 80°F?... just so you know, it wont have that "clean and crisp" lager taste.. those yeast will freak out and spew funky/fruity flavors at those temps. your "lager temp" of 48°F should be your primary temp with the diacetyl rest 10 degrees higher than that. lager near freezing. and make a HUGE starter.

50% of making a good beer is in the recipe. 95% of making an excellent beer is in the yeast handling

Thanks good advice but I'm not putting lime in until the secondary which is when I'm going to lager. So am I still going to get those fruity flavors or will I be ok?

if you put pitch lager yeast @ 80°F, you are very likely get non-lime fruity flavors in your lager, which I presume you dont want (apricot-y, banana-y, or other fruity tastes.. depnds on the yeast strain). you probably want a crisp and clean flavor and for that you need to pitch a large starter of lager yeast when the wort is already at 50°F. there is huge flavor development that happens during the lag phase (the time between pitch and the time you see the krausen foam rise).. holding the proper temp is super important, at least from the time you pitch, through the krausen rise to maybe 48-72 hrs after. and because you you are supposed to pitch colder, and less activity happens, you need a lot of lager yeast to do it right (yeast cake 1/2" deep at the bottom of a gallon jug is probably the right amount for 5 gallons). depends if you are trying to make awesome beer, or just beer with alcohol. even if you dont try to implement any of these suggestions, itll still come out drinkable (just maybe not awesome). experimenting is half the fun of homebrewing :) also, lime was marketing into mexican lagers mostly because people were putting lime in their beer to keep the flies out (or so Ive been told).

Back