Apfelwein??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twissty

Reaction score
I just came across this site a few days ago and was quite surprised at all the fuss about apfelwein.
I've been making this stuff for about 25 years!

My wife and I call it "Slider"

I found the basic recipe in "The art of Making Beer" by Anderson and Hull (c) 1971

Its recipe 18 in chapter 6 "cider and perry"

Cider from apple Juice

1 gallon apple juice (multiply for whatever quantity of juice you have)
Cane sugar to s.g 1.060 (i've used corn sugar too, theres no difference, so go cheap!)
½ tsp acid blend (I skip this)
¼ tsp grape tannin (and this)
¼ tsp yeast nutrient (but I add this)
Andovin or champagne yeast
Ferment in primary, then secondary, prime and bottle in beer or champagne bottles. (it kegs well too)

Age at least 3 months, 6 months recommended.

My favorite variation is to replace about 25% of the apple juice with cranberry cocktail. If it's sweetened, then you don't need as much sugar. your hydrometer will guide you. The unfermentables give you a slightly sweeter product and you get a nice pink colour.

It's also very good without any added sugar, except for priming. less alcoholic, very refreshing.

I've experimented with wine, ale, and lager yeasts and temps. In general, I find it takes longer for the beer type yeasts to mellow out than with wine yeasts.
Overall, I like lalvin 1118 champagne yeast the best.

What kind of yeasts have your tried?

I've tried Montrachet & Cote De Blancs. I'm thinking Monty is my preferred.

Several people have tried German Heffe yeast Weihenstepan (Spelling?) and found it had a really good less dry flavor.

Sweet mead yeast has had favorable results too.

lalvin 1118 is my favorite for sstraight apple juice. It brews out dry and doesn't need much aging. Lalvin 1116 is good with a cran-apple mix. It takes a bit longer to brew though.
Years ago, I played with Doric dried ale yeast. It was ok, but it smelled awful until it had aged about 8 months.

I also had some lager yeast that a brewmaster from an area brewery gave me. The results were OK, but not really worth the bother.

All I've used for the last 15 years or so is 1116 or 1118, whichever i had on hand.

Back