infection?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brewed up a black IPA recently and dry hopped it with whole hops, I opened up the fermenter today to rack to the keg and it appears there is some bubbly mold looking stuff on top around the hop cones. The beer smells and tastes ok. Please tell me you guys have seen this before as this beer is slated to be on tap for my thanksgiving dinner. Here is a pic

ForumRunner_20111120_120217.jpg

Tough to say, but it doesn't look good. However consider you want it for thanksgiving in less than a week away, I'd rack from beneath that sh*t and keg or bottle as normal and drink away. It won't hurt you, and it may not taste sour or funky at all.

Thanks, I think that is what I will do, as I said...it tastes and smells fine. Freaked the hell out of me though. I have had 26 batches since my last infection

Anyone else?? Yooper, revvy, I was hoping you guys might want to weigh in on this one. I appreciate any and all opinions

Have you ever dryhopped before? That actually looks normal to me.

That white **** scares me. I dryhop all the time, and haven't seen that. I'd rack under it, keg it, carb it, and drink it. Quickly. If it tastes good, drink it and don't give it time for the infection to take hold.

Yes,

I dry hop often, this is the first time using wet hops though. I hope it is normal. I'm going to look like a dumba$$ if this batch doesn't come through. Thanks for the reassurance and input...wnc

Yooper said:
That white **** scares me. I dryhop all the time, and haven't seen that. I'd rack under it, keg it, carb it, and drink it. Quickly. If it tastes good, drink it and don't give it time for the infection to take hold.

Thanks yooper,

That is my plan. Heading to rack it to keg right now

i brewed up a 10g ipa that i dry-hopped that looked like that (i fell asleep for a couple hours while chilling the wort). i ended up throwing out the last 3 gallons, but we managed to drink the first 7 before the infected taste kicked in

I've had wethops give the beer a similar "scum" on top, but I guess it can't hurt to try to rack from underneath it.

Just racked from underneath and feel like I did a good job leaving all the nasties up top. Upon closer examination, it was really more on the hops than on the surface of the beer. As long as it tastes ok until friday I'll be in good shape. I did not however harvest the yeast cake and this fermentor will be getting a nice long soak. In case it is some kind of funk. Thanks to all...wnc

there's a good chance it was just hop oil and chemical reactions, and the beer will be fine, especially if drank soon, so good luck

Back