We no need no stinking beer gun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what size drilled stopper I should order for this?

#2 drilled stopper. I would order a few. Doesn't hurt to have extras.

I've also used mine to fill various size/style growlers too. Here's a lit of stoppers I've used.

#2 - for standard 12-22oz bottles, also includes the some swing tops
#6 - for standard 1/2 gallon glass growlers. They work on my full gallon jugs too, but I've not used one as a growler.
Small universal stopper (what comes with the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers), I've used these with the growlers that look like small kegs.
Large universal stopper (the ones with the Better Bottles). These will fit the 2L swing top glass growlers.

I thought I would throw that out there in case you already had any of these stoppers. The only one I really had to add was the #6 as the others were included with the fermenters. I use the Better Bottle one the most since I like the swing top 2L growlers the best.

#2 drilled stopper. I would order a few. Doesn't hurt to have extras.

I've also used mine to fill various size/style growlers too. Here's a lit of stoppers I've used.

#2 - for standard 12-22oz bottles, also includes the some swing tops
#6 - for standard 1/2 gallon glass growlers. They work on my full gallon jugs too, but I've not used one as a growler.
Small universal stopper (what comes with the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers), I've used these with the growlers that look like small kegs.
Large universal stopper (the ones with the Better Bottles). These will fit the 2L swing top glass growlers.

I thought I would throw that out there in case you already had any of these stoppers. The only one I really had to add was the #6 as the others were included with the fermenters. I use the Better Bottle one the most since I like the swing top 2L growlers the best.

Super helpful. Thanks a bunch!

I'm sorry if this was covered in the previous 125 pages, but I can't figure out why the stopper is necessary. If you're filling it to overflow, then swishing it for a bit before capping, why do you need to burp it? Can't you just fill it with the racking-cane-jammed-in-the-picnic-tap thingy until it overflows just as easily as doing the burping thing?

I'm sure I'm missing something here that's making this a really dumb question, but I don't see it yet...

The idea is counter pressure. If you just use a bottle filler it would more than likely foamover very quickly. With the stopper you are maintaining the pressure within the bottle to reduce foaming.

Is tube length an issue? I could get an extra racking cane, but I have a foot long piece of stainless steel tubing that fits nicely into a picnic tap .

I'm sorry if this was covered in the previous 125 pages, but I can't figure out why the stopper is necessary. If you're filling it to overflow, then swishing it for a bit before capping, why do you need to burp it? Can't you just fill it with the racking-cane-jammed-in-the-picnic-tap thingy until it overflows just as easily as doing the burping thing?

I'm sure I'm missing something here that's making this a really dumb question, but I don't see it yet...

Though the post below yours is correct, you do not need to use a stoppers. I haven't used a stopper in some time. I have talked to many guys and girls in the club that have stopped or never used a stopper, so I stopped. still get medals at comp and the only time I have gotten anything back about the carbonation level has been from a cider that I marked the wrong carbonation thing for(its the only cider i have ever entered in to a comp and they ask carbonation levels) and it took a medal too.

so if you want to follow this method to a T, then yes you need the stopper. Though if you are more concerned with your own methods and what may work for you then no you don't. Try it, bottle with and with out the stopper. toss them in the fridge and drink after they have sat a while. That's what i did.

Can someone please explain the need for the stopper? Could you not achieve the results without the stopper? Assuming everything else remains the same.... cold bottle... low psi fill... cap on foam.

The stopper represses foaming by applying co2 pressure to the liquid as it comes out of solution while filling.

The stopper is just there to increase pressure in the bottle which will reduce foaming. By pressing down on the stopper the pressure inside the bottle builds this inhibits foaming. Then by slowing releasing pressure on the stopper the bottle will continue to fill slowly thus reducing foam in the bottle.

That being said many have bottled without the stopper as you suggest and it worked out fine.

Cheers

The stopper represses foaming by applying co2 pressure to the liquid as it comes out of solution while filling.

The stopper is just there to increase pressure in the bottle which will reduce foaming. By pressing down on the stopper the pressure inside the bottle builds this inhibits foaming. Then by slowing releasing pressure on the stopper the bottle will continue to fill slowly thus reducing foam in the bottle.

That being said many have bottled without the stopper as you suggest and it worked out fine.

Cheers

Thanks. I don't notice more or less foam without the stopper. Again, that's given a chilled bottle, long output tubing, and low psi during bottle fills.

I thought that the stopper may have contained the (IPA) hop aroma during a bottle fill, but that didn't make much sense since the stopper is removed to cap the bottle anyhow.

Foaming equates to escaped CO2. Would the stopper make that small difference in keeping CO2 contained in the beer?

Thanks. I don't notice more or less foam without the stopper. Again, that's given a chilled bottle, long output tubing, and low psi during bottle fills.

I thought that the stopper may have contained the (IPA) hop aroma during a bottle fill, but that didn't make much sense since the stopper is removed to cap the bottle anyhow.

Foaming equates to escaped CO2. Would the stopper make that small difference in keeping CO2 contained in the beer?

Yes in my opinion.

EDIT; I don't chill the bottles first though.

I don't use a stopper but I have filled both bottles and growlers and I agree that the key to filling without the stopper is lower serving pressure and chilled bottles.

I'm getting together the supplies to start kegging, and one of the things I thought I had to buy was a beer gun. Glad I saw this post, it literally saved me $100. Thanks for the info, looking forward to trying it.

I don't use a stopper but I have filled both bottles and growlers and I agree that the key to filling without the stopper is lower serving pressure and chilled bottles.

I don't lower my pressure or chill my bottles. I also don't use a stopper and it works just fine. I do bottle from the tap with a length of SS tubing, so there is 10 ft of line between me and the keg.

I don't lower my pressure or chill my bottles. I also don't use a stopper and it works just fine. I do bottle from the tap with a length of SS tubing, so there is 10 ft of line between me and the keg.

10 ft of tubing will definitely lower your pressure for you. I only have about 3 feet of line from the keg to the tap.

This method has probably already been discussed. But I went to the brew store this past weekend and I told him about the racking cane and stopper for bottling from the keg.

The guy had a 'simpler' approach and suggested I try it. He cut 9-10 inches of hi temp tubing and said that was all I needed. He also suggested I chill the bottles prior to filling em up.

Seems like it would be a pain in the ass to keep sanitary bottles chilled. Although I think ive got a process, sanitize the bottles and caps, put caps on said bottles (not capped), and stick in the freezer to chill. Fill once chilled.

Any suggestions? Hopefully going to try my hand at this tonight.

This method has probably already been discussed. But I went to the brew store this past weekend and I told him about the racking cane and stopper for bottling from the keg.

The guy had a 'simpler' approach and suggested I try it. He cut 9-10 inches of hi temp tubing and said that was all I needed. He also suggested I chill the bottles prior to filling em up.

Seems like it would be a pain in the ass to keep sanitary bottles chilled. Although I think ive got a process, sanitize the bottles and caps, put caps on said bottles (not capped), and stick in the freezer to chill. Fill once chilled.

I did something similar. I sanitized the bottles and covered the opening with sanitized foil. I then put them in the freezer upside down. I used those to bottle and then capped with caps sitting in sanitizer.

Will a standard plastic bottle filler about 18 inches long work instead of the racking cane?

That's actually what I'm using. I had two of them, I cut off the end at a 45-degree angle, pushed on the stopper, added some vinyl tubing to connect it to the picnic tap, and I was good.

BTW, I used a Dremel to cut off the end.

I just chill the bottles then hit them with a quick squirt of Star San from a spray bottle. Swirl around to coat the glass, give it a minute, dump it out, then fill.

So I tried this as described. Too much foam! It's probably a big issue that I cannot dial in my PSI with my crappy regulator... Anyways, now I have a few bottles that are 3/4 full...

So I tried this as described. Too much foam! It's probably a big issue that I cannot dial in my PSI with my crappy regulator... Anyways, now I have a few bottles that are 3/4 full...

There is a learning curve to this.

If you can't dial in your regulator, try using a longer hose. I bottle from the tap @ 12 psi with 10ft of hose and it works really well. I don't chill my bottles either.

There is a learning curve to this.

If you can't dial in your regulator, try using a longer hose. I bottle from the tap @ 12 psi with 10ft of hose and it works really well. I don't chill my bottles either.

Thanks. I went out and got 10 ft (had about 5 1/2 before). Haven't tried it yet but just by observing how it pours regularly now, I bet bottling will be easier now

sanitize bottles, chill, then spray with iced starsan solution right before bottling. The wet starsan keeps foam down and it won't warm the bottle because it is iced.

Do you need a separate picnic tap than your normal serving tap? i.e. can you pull the modified bottle filler out once you are done or is it jammed in there so well that it's stuck or you'll break something?

Do you need a separate picnic tap than your normal serving tap? i.e. can you pull the modified bottle filler out once you are done or is it jammed in there so well that it's stuck or you'll break something?

No problem using your dedicated picnic tap. The bottle filler wand slides in and out with no issues.

With over 1,200 posts on this topic, it's been tough to find a clear answer. What's the sanitation protocol for all this? Same as normal bottling? Or is it just rinsed cleaned bottles and not much of an infection worry because sugar is all used up and it's going to be typically stored cold?

Sanitation is always good practice, if you're just doing this for personal consumption soon you could be more lax, I supposed. I wouldn't skimp on sanitation though.

Or is it just rinsed cleaned bottles and not much of an infection worry because sugar is all used up and it's going to be typically stored cold?

Bottling is bottling. Sanitation needs are identical, whether you're bottling a dry wine or adding sugar before bottling a beer. The sugar added for bottle conditioning a beer has no impact on the sanitation needed.

OK, so who else here has forgotten to unlock the tap before moving onto the next bottle? Besides this guy, of course :p Beer shower!

Just switched to kegging recently, and my next step is to set up my BMBF for bottling. I think I'm all set to bottle normal beers for competition etc, but I also have some apfelwein in a carboy that I want to keg and then bottle (because I never want to deal with yeast gunk in bottles again). My vision for this presents two challenges:

1) I want this stuff as fizzy as possible, for that pseudo-champagne experience. Minimum 3 atmospheres, more if I can get it.

2) I'd like to bottle in 750ml Belgian bottles and cork&cage them.

For the high pressure, I'm thinking I'll be OK as long as I keep everything super cold and use a long length of tubing (10 or 12 feet?). But I don't know for sure what additional challenges this might create.

Not sure exactly how to handle corking, since I imagine I can't "cap on foam" like you'd normally want to. I figure what I'll do is fill as normal, place sanitized caps or foil on the bottles, then go back and vent a little CO2 into each bottle before driving in the corks - should that be good enough to prevent oxidation? I'd like to be able to put up some of these bottles for a long time, so excluding oxygen is important.

Question for those who have done this before - how full should the bottle be? I want to bottle more tomorrow, but did a trial run today with two bottles, both of which are nearly completely full. Is it like a growler where you can fill it all the way? Note that these two bottles will be enjoyed today.

Latest posts

Back