STC 1000 heat source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
What is everyone using for the hot side of their controller? I've a halogen lamp hooked up now, but wonder if there is a better solution.

I use a ceramic heat lamp, there used mainly for terrariums. No light emmitted & Using stc 1000 it only varies by 0.5c at any stage

I'd be cautious using a halogen bulb, haven't seen one that runs cool enough not to present a fire hazard. I use an old 60watt boot drier and have found that to be sufficient to hold a 9cf freezer to 65 deg in my unheated garage in January. You really don't need much heat, although it stays on longer than a higher power heat source would.

I'd be cautious using a halogen bulb, haven't seen one that runs cool enough not to present a fire hazard. I use an old 60watt boot drier and have found that to be sufficient to hold a 9cf freezer to 65 deg in my unheated garage in January. You really don't need much heat, although it stays on longer than a higher power heat source would.

It's actually an outdoor lamp w/ a protective glass cover, impervious to the elements. I will check out some of the other options though, not crazy about the light even though I ferment in buckets. Holds temps steady though.

Back