Entering Homebrew Competitions...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever entered into any big homebrew competitions (and done well or won anything) ?

Just wondering. I have never done this before and I am thinking about entering into a few in the next few months.

- Brian

I've entered some small ones and placed. Actually getting ready to send some entries in for another one: War of the Worts IV.

"Doing well" is relative- I'd highly suggest doing it to get honest, impartial feedback on your beers as well as ways to improve your technique. The comments might piss you off, but they will make you a better brewer.

Big or small, it's definitely worth it.

I just started entering competitions myself. After finally progressing through the 6 initial phases of being a homebrewer I figured that I was ready.

1 - Damn this is good, I can't believe that I really made this!
2 - I must buy more equipment immediately so I can do this all the time.
3 - Someone else's beer is better than mine, I must need to go AG or something.
4 - Every beer I make is the best beer in the world and I'm not afraid to tell people so.
5 - Every beer I make has something that can be improved upon the next time I brew it.
6 - Most of my beers are good, some area exceptional, some are poor... send the exceptional ones to competitions,

I've entered a few. Placed in styles a couple times that won me a pretty ribbon, but that's about it. I'm actually now trying to plan out what I will send in for this years NHBC....

Ya there are a few coming up around the Boston area I would like to enter.
I would like to just hear peoples opinions on the beer. If we place or win anything that would be great as well.

I keep thinking I need to enter some comps, I've got some really honest people here at work that tell me what they really think of my beers but I guess it would be nice to get some feedback from some trained taste buds. The only problem I have is that a lot of the homebrew comps are judged by clubs around here and let me tell you the club I attended once in Salem did not have what I would consider knowledgeable brewers.

Brian,

I entered my first competition this past September. It was the Topsfield Fair. They went by BJCP rules, and I think I paid 5 bucks per entry. I brew extract for now, and my Bavarian Hef (which was nice but a little past its prime) finished 3rd and won a white ribbon in the Hefeweizen category. The more valuable part of it was that I got real honest criticism of my beers. Another option you can do is bring them to a local brewery. I have a guy who comes in every few weeks and we sample his beers and talk shop about them. In return we try and pour him something special that the brewers are doin.

Long story short, enter all the comps you can, its awesome feedback and hey! you might win something :D

The first competition one of my friends entered was the Patriot Homebrew Competition last year. He won, and this whole season he was drinking his IPA at Gillette! :mug:

Back