whats wrong with my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
just brewed my first beer, a steam style. I primaried for 1 week , secondaried for 1 week and racked for 3. my questions are some bottles have good carbonation, some are very weak, some bottles have strong bitter aftertaste and some have none. why are they so different??

I made my sugar solution up just like the instructions said and poured into bottling bucket before I siphoned my wort. was thinking I didn't cap the bottle tight enough, but when I put them in the fridge on there side none of them leaked.
?????????

It was a partial grain kit, still easy to do. I this normal??

What do you mean "racked for 3"? Racking generally means transferring from one vessel to another. Bottles should be stored upright so that yeast and sediment form a compact layer on the bottom of the bottle. Did you put them in the fridge right after you capped them?

My guess is that you didnt mix the sugar well enough with your beer. So some of the bottles got more sugar than others. Did you use pop off bottles or twist off?

Did they go into the fridge right after bottling? If so, that's too cold. The on-their-side thing is fine; just stand them upright in the fridge overnight or whatever until they resettle.

I bottled them for 3 weeks before throwing them in fridge. as far as sanitation goes I just rinsed them in hot water, no one step. and I did use brown pop top bottles that I bought from the LHBS and a few from sam adams.

one thing I forgot to mention was I got 62 bottles out of my batch, will that thin out the sugar too??

I think you just stuck them in the fridge too soon....even though we say 3 weeks at 70 that is a rule of thumb..if they all weren't carbed, then they all haven't finished bottle conditioning either, hence the off flavors.

I'd pull them out of the fridge, re-roused the yeast then stick them back in the closet for another 2 weeks or so...give them some time to even out....

take a read of my blog on time healing beers. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104

Back