Vienna Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
I am planning a couple of recipes where a large portion (80-90%) of the grist will be Vienna malt. because of this I am going to purchase a whole bag of it.

Since I have very little experience with this malt, I was wondering if anyone could give me a direction on which Maltster to go with..

my options are:

Breiss Goldpils Vienna Malt
Franco-Belges Vienna Malt
German Vienna Malt
Weyermann Barke Vienna Malt

Is there anything I should know about these different maltsters that could aid in my decision? Does Style of beer matter? Or is it pretty much all the same and comes down to personal preference?

Thanks in advance!

I tried a bag of the Barke pils and Munich recently. It's nothing special in my opinion. Fwiw, I like Weyermanns standard malts better. Hope that helps some.

I have used Schill Vienna malt in Vienna lagers (including one with 100% Vienna), and have to say that I'm not a fan of that malt at all. I'd rather just use Maris Otter for a similar SRM, but a flavor I like. There must be better ones out there.

I use Great Western Malting (GWM) Vienna, which I get from Ritebrew. I have brewed 3 or 4 SMaSH beers with only this malt and fine it very tasty.

I like best vienna malt, and then weyermann. (I cant get/havent used their barke line) One of those is probably the "german vienna malt". Either way if you are making lagers, its a safe bet.

I tried the briess goldpils once and thought it tasted a bit "dull" but it was only one try, so i wouldnt put much stock in that opinion.

Ive use other franco-belges malts and overall their quality is very good, I really like their Special aromatic, which is like a shade darker and more intense vienna malt. But i havent used their standard vienna.

I did a smash with citra and weyermann vienna malt that was great. I added grapefruit zest in the secondary hop bag.

Back