Leap Year Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to brew a Leap Year Barleywine on Feb 29th and then see if I could hold out until the next leap year before drinking it. Anyone have a good recipe that ages well?

I've not brewed it before, but I was planning on this one (I think it's one of Jamil's) as soon as I get a bigger mash tun:

94.57 % Pale Malt, Maris Otter
2.72 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
2.72 % Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
Horizon Hops (60 min) 56.4 IBU
Goldings, East Kent Hops (20 min) 3.5 IBU
0.5 oz Goldings, East Kent Hops (knockout)
1 Pkgs London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) and a huge starter

Est OG: 1.100

Mash: 150F, 75min
Mash Out: 168F, 10min

This same thought crossed my mind this morning. The 29th is on a Friday, too...which is usually a good brew night for me. Hmmm. I need more sessions beers!

My problem is that my basement isn't even close to a consistent temperature throughout the year. How do you think fluctuating temps. between upper-50s in the winter and low-70s in the summer over a couple of years would affect the beer?

Been planning a berleywine myself, not gonna wait 4 years to drink though. I was thinking drink next yr as a sort of ode to the missing day. I have a barleywine extract kit from Austin Homebrew that I was gonna use also will probably add some honey and oak age it.

FlyGuy said:
I thought it would be fun to brew a Leap Year Barleywine on Feb 29th and then see if I could hold out until the next leap year before drinking it. Anyone have a good recipe that ages well?

Brewpastors Barley wine recipe is awesome. It just keeps getting better and better. :rockin:

Back