I want to make some wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnsickles

Reaction score
My dad was big into making wine and made a good bit of it. Some was good some was not. Earlier this year he got sick and past away. He was always trying to get me to make some wine. I was interested, but just never had time for it, or so I said. Now that he is gone I think I'm going to do it. He had given me a 5 gal. glass jug and an air lock. If someone could please give me an easy quick recipe using just juice concentrate. He made all kinds of wine from banana to elderberry, I'm not ready for that stuff, he always would say all you need is sugar, yeast, juice, and water. I just need help filling in the blanks. Thanks in advance for you help.

Welcome to the world of patience! It takes a while to make wine, but most of that is waiting. I have a few ideas for you. One is to read this: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

That is an awesome beginning look at winemaking. Next is to think of what kind of wine you want to make- if you look at my recipes under my avatar there might be something there you like. If not, we can help you find something that you would like to do.

Are you familiar with beer brewing? I suggest going to your local home brewing equipment supplier and talking to them and starting with a kit. Not only does it have the juice and all of the ingredients but also have step by step instructions. Did your father keep any notes? Many wine makers will keep journals and recipes of their previous batches. If they enjoy a wine that has aged chances are they will not be able to remember 3 months....6 months... or many years before what they had done to achieve those results. By creating wine through a wine kit and time on the internet you should be able to grasp the concepts enough to understand notes he might have taken and follow somewhat in his footsteps.

If you are looking for a great way to get started with just a 5 gallon carboy and airlock, you should try out Edworts Apfelwein. Its a great recipe, easily done, inexpensive, and makes a very good beverage.

I think doing that would give you an understanding in the very basic process involved with making wine.

Here is a link to the thread and recipe: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Back