Anyone have the "BREWfractometer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I currently have a all BRIX refractometer, I dont like converting it, its to much hassle, so I have been looking into another one...

Looks like my options are limited to the cheap one that gets incorrect as the gractiry goes up because it the conversion was calced wrong.. OR.. I can get the "BREWfractometer".. Its a bit more pricey but if it works I think it would be worth it, plus I could re-sell my brix one to help reduce to the cost..

What do you need to convert ? Just use brix for all your measurements and recipies. I used to do the same thing with metric, you get used to it eventually. It's just a new thing to learn

The problem is that refractometers were designed for simple sugars. The complex sugars in wort make them inaccurate. That is, the brix reading is incorrect.

I think the error is estimated at about 4%. However, it depends on the wort. A heavy wort with lots of complex sugars will make it even more inaccurate, and a highly fermentable wort will have less error.

Because all worts are have different mixes of sugar, you cannot get one that will give an accurate measurement in beer wort. They may (or may not) make one with the 4% factored in, however due to the different make up of every wort, it will still be slightly inaccurate.

It is quick and easy tool to get a close estimate of OG. Just keep a copy of the conversion chart handy. For measuring (and of course calculating), gravity of fermented wort, I don't trust it at all and will always use an hydrometer ........ I can drink the sample too!

All refracts are off to some point. I have one that is Brix on the left and SG on the right. I love mine but I am a "close enough" style home brewer. Most of the time I am lucky if I get an OG and I seldom take a FG unless it tastes wrong.

Back